Port of Baltimore or Newark?

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Japspec, Aug 11, 2023.

1. Japspec

Japspec Member

Nice! Let me know how it goes at port for you. First time so I’m a bit anxious. Looks like my broker will be taking care of the paperwork and the fee was part of my invoice so thats all good.

2. DOUGNASH

DOUGNASH Member

They just updated the ships arrival to Sunday

The current position of GRACIOUS ACE is at US East Coast reported 15 hours ago by AIS. The vessel is en route to US EWR, sailing at a speed of 8.8 knots and expected to arrive there on Nov 19, 00:00.

Japspec likes this.
  3. reggie98

reggie98 Member

Wired my money to them the day after I received the Arrival Notice. Transaction status appears as deposited in their account. I have heard nothing further from them.
    I really have no idea how all this works at the port, but I wonder if there is a priority structure to processing vehicles? New vehicles destined for dealers first? Old vehicles last?

4. DOUGNASH

DOUGNASH Member

When you get there in the AM there will probably be 5-10 guys on line waiting already

They start processing at 8am

Once you’re up, they check the paper work, make sure you paid the port fee and then tell you to go get the truck.

mall the trucks are lined up, I had to push a truck out of the way to get to mine which also had a dead battery but they have a support truck cruising around to help out

you then show your paperwork at the front gate and the security guard gives you the OK to go

I would guess I was in and out within 35-40 minutes

Don’t forget your safety vest

Japspec likes this.
  5. Japspec

Japspec Member

35-40 mins in and out isnt bad at all, seems easy enough to get the truck. Im guessing theres a parking area to park my SUV + trailer and then walk over to the place to get my paperwork checked out and I drive the truck over after all clear?

6. DOUGNASH

DOUGNASH Member

Right across the street there is room to park, you will see all kinds of truck/trailer set ups

7. Japspec

Japspec Member

Nice okay thanks!

8. Japspec

Japspec Member

Well guys, I guess our vehicles must be sitting in port now that the ship has left…how long have you guys experienced that it takes to clear customs? Week or two I’m guessing? Getting anxious over here lol.

9. reggie98

reggie98 Member

Don't think that could be true. My notice from Norton Lilly gives me a window of Nov 20 to 28 to pick my vehicle up or incur further charges.

10. Japspec

Japspec Member

Gotcha, no idea then when my broker will let me know if thats the case. Hope they stay on top of their game. I wonder if the port will be open the 24th this week. For some reason my norton lilly report didnt say anything, other than it cant be there more than 15 days from discharge.

11. Japspec

Japspec Member

Forgot to ask, did you get that notice after paying? I haven’t received anything like that yet saying a certain timeframe. Be great to get one though so I can coordinate time off from work and the Uhaul trailer.

12. reggie98

reggie98 Member

After confirming that they received my wire transfer, I received this today from NL:
    Please note subject cargo has been released by Customs and all Steamship Lines. First free 11/20/2023 / Last free day is 11/28/2023 end of business.

Please contact the terminal that is listed on the Arrival Notice for terminal procedures / protocol and demurrage cost if applicable. The terminal is open Monday - Friday 800AM to 400PM for retrieval of cargo. No Weekend /Holiday Hours

Port Of America Newark Terminal / 325 Distribution Street / Newark NJ 07114 / 973-522-0224.

Japspec likes this.
  13. Japspec

Japspec Member

Gotcha! I guess I’ll have to wait then as my broker will be paying Norton Lilly on my behalf. I’ll have to ask them for an update soon.

14. reggie98

reggie98 Member

You really need to keep on top of your broker. Your vehicle/shipment is just of many to them.

Next hurdle will be registration which I hope to do the same day I go to the port.
    Somewhere I read that the Elizabeth DMV office handles imported vehicles, but now I can't find that reference.

15. Japspec

Japspec Member

Oh yeah definitely. I’m planning to shoot them an email tomorrow to see what step they’re at so I can get the truck. I’m in PA so I’ll have to register as an antique vehicle.

16. Japspec

Japspec Member

What day are you planning to pick up your truck?

17. reggie98

reggie98 Member

Either Friday or Tuesday. My truck is have power steering problems at the moment and I really don't want to have to rent a truck and trailer, adding to the overall cost.

Japspec likes this.
  18. Japspec

Japspec Member

Gotcha, good to know they’re operating on Friday, I’ll have to get on my broker then so I can take advantage of my day off.

19. DOUGNASH

DOUGNASH Member

I’m all set
    U-Haul car hauler is connected
    Wired Lilly the $50
    Paid the $35 port fee
    Leaving in a few hours

20. DOUGNASH

DOUGNASH Member

I would be all over your broker
    Be the squeeky wheel

21. Japspec

Japspec Member

Yep I’m going to be on them today, that is ridiculous that they haven’t even relayed any info to me yet. Definitely gonna use someone else next time. Let us know how it goes during your pick up!

22. Japspec

Japspec Member

Just talked to my broker, they said that customs clearance for my truck is still pending.

EDIT: They just sent it over to Norton Lily…now we wait for them.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2023
  23. reggie98

reggie98 Member

Did you contact the port? Port fee paid by you or by your broker if you are using one? Upon arrival, where are the vehicles held at the port?

24. Japspec

Japspec Member

Also curious about the above ^^

25. DOUGNASH

DOUGNASH Member

Didn’t contact the port, just showed up.

actually I paid the $35 port fee twice because I paid and my broker paid too, I was pushing to pick up today so I didn’t want to take any chances

make sure you pay the $50 fee to Lilly and the $35 port fee the day before, they will definitely hold you up without them being registered as paid.

Bring a jumper box, 2nd truck for me and 2nd dead battery

I was on line at 7:45am with about 8 people in front of me, maybe get on line around 7:30

it took me about an hour this time on line because several people in front of me didn’t have the fees paid so it held up everyone

Some of the trucks are about 50 yards into the port on the left hand side, mine was there right in the front row for an easy exit once I got it jumped

The other batch of trucks are to the right probably 200 yards in

They will send a worker with you and have you sign off on the truck as being picked up

then just drive to the gate and show the security guard the paperwork, he keeps one copy

also that same security guard you need to check in before you go to the office and he will give you a security pass

bring your safety vest and take the ride home slow!!

Wire Fox likes this.
  26. DOUGNASH

DOUGNASH Member

They are closed this Friday!!

Schedule for another day

Japspec likes this.
  27. DOUGNASH

DOUGNASH Member

This is the place
    Security window is on the right, first thing check in with the guard
    IMG_0027.jpeg

28. Japspec

Japspec Member

Good to know, so do I need to tell them which day I’m coming or can I just go there and wait in line? I’ll likely go Monday in that case.

EDIT: My bad, just saw your post that you just show up! :)

29. Japspec

Japspec Member

Reserved a 6x12 w/ ramp since my Xterra is right at the limit for the car hauler so I’m afraid they will turn me away. Better safe than sorry…my friend will be coming with me so that’ll help with loading.

DOUGNASH, I’m going to talk to my broker tomorrow about which documents to take with me to port, but just curious what documents did you need to bring to get the truck?

30. DOUGNASH

DOUGNASH Member

I brought receipts from both payments, customs release and the work order from the broker. They had confirmation on the computer for both fees being paid so they only wanted to look at the work order from the broker.

If you have everything done prior, once it is your turn with the one guy doing the processing, within 2-3 minutes he will give you the OK to go get the truck.

It will definitely be easier with two people, bring a jump pack.