1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Picking up 1996 Hijet Van soon!

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by parashootist, May 9, 2021.

1. parashootist

parashootist New Member

As the title states, my 1996 S100V is on the ship en route to the US currently. I'll be heading to get it in 2 weeks and intend to drive it ~550 miles home. My first stop will be an auto parts store to complete an oil/filter change. What else would you all do before making the trip? I thought maybe order an air filter?

It appeared to be in good shape, 35,000kms on 6 digit odometer.

I will do a write-up on the import process but so far it has been relatively painless.

Thanks!

Note: I previously had a 1993 Suzuki Carry Van so I know what to expect during the 500 mile drive since I drove the Suzuki home 450 miles. I bought that one from an importer so the import process is new.

2. shogun

shogun Active Member

35.000 km = no worries, oil and oil filter I would change and also check the coolant reservoir level, if enough filled up. Air filter you can check or clean, maybe no need to change. Also check the aircon, if it works, or if it needs a refill, if the aircon is needed where you live.

3. parashootist

parashootist New Member

Thanks! I definitely plan to check all of the fluids. When I get it home I'll change the transmission fluid and likely the coolant also. I was going to also order a timing belt and pulley but I'm going to wait until I get it to make sure I get the right one.

4. mrxsht

mrxsht Member

I bet you went through a broker! See my experience was. nightmare because in the beginning I didn't use one. and I almost lost mine to customs.
    enjoy.

5. parashootist

parashootist New Member

I used the DIY import thread on here to fill out all the customs forms. Then when I called the port (Tacoma) I realized that they require a broker. So I did end up getting a broker. I suppose I just did some of the work for him.

We'll see how it goes when the time comes to pick it up next week.

6. mrxsht

mrxsht Member

you did file your importers security 10+2 form, right?

7. parashootist

parashootist New Member

Hopefully my broker did on my behalf. I sent him three of the forms filled out (HS7, 7501, and 3520) along with all the stuff from the exporter.

8. mrxsht

mrxsht Member

good. me too.
    what size of engine is your van if you don't mind me asking?

9. mrxsht

mrxsht Member

it seems all the big engines went to the UK, and Australia.

10. parashootist

parashootist New Member

He sounded quite knowledgeable when we spoke on the phone so I'm sure he got it all taken care of.

Engine is 660cc.

11. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

All of the JDM Kei vehicles are 660-cc, and I think, no more than 47-kW, (64-hp output). By Gentleman’s agreement between the manufacturers, top speed is 140-kmh, (87-mph).

12. parashootist

parashootist New Member

660 is the max they can be. There are 550cc vehicles and older 360cc ones too! I'm sure there are other capacities I'm unaware of.

13. parashootist

parashootist New Member

Update: the van made the 600 mile trip home. After replacing the fuel filter I had no issues.

YSK customs brokerage filed all of my paperwork accurately and the port wasn't too big of a hassle. Make sure if you're driving the vehicle home you have a trip permit or they won't stamp your 7501. You can download it online but you need to have it on the vehicle when you show up for inspection at the CBP building (this applies to Port of Tacoma).