1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pellet air rifle

Discussion in 'Mini Lounge' started by chickendumpling, May 20, 2009.

1. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  2. slimbad

slimbad Member

That's like asking "what is the best brand of Kei truck out there?":rolleyes: I guess it all depends on what you want to use it for - plinking or small-game. Just type "pellet rifles" on your favorite search engine and start shopping. Most of the high-end air rifles already come with scopes.

http://www.airgundepot.com/gamo-hunter-extreme.html

later, slim

3. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

I want something big enough to really piss off woodchucks (groundhogs/marmots depending on your locale) but probably not enough to kill them. On the other hand, maybe I should just buy a 22. :rolleyes:

4. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

I have a Crosman Airguns- 1377C American Classic Air Pistol pump action that works great and its about 10 years old. On a side note a .22 is a really nice plinkin gun for shootin cans and what not. Not a rifle but close enough. Here's my Ruger .22 target pistol.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 21, 2009
  5. greg0187

6. greg0187

As far as the scope goes. I have a Millet Red Dot on my 22. I like it alot, You can target varmints very quikly. The easiest way to explain it is its like a laser site without the laser being projected onto the target. You can aim with one eye closed but its designed to be used with both eyes open. Like I said its a very fast targeting system compared to the standard cross hairs. Alot of guys use them on shotguns as well.

-Greg

7. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

the bolt action sniper rifles with .30 gram pellets are deadly! lol

8. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

I have a old Diana model 35. 177 cal. 725 fps if I remember right. It was the most powerful spring loaded air rifle of its time. I know it doesnt shoot that hard now. For being 25 yrs+ old it still brings down those black birds in the back yard @ 40'. The new Diana's are pretty wicked. 1000 fps+. They aint cheap.

9. TRAX and HORNS

Thanks alot Chicken. Now you got me stirred up about air rifles again. I looks like Diana was bought out by RWS. If you buy one get a German made rifle. Ill bet the quality is still there. After WW2 thats the only thing they could build(air rifles). They built the best then and would assume they are still on top of the game. I checked out a few new Diana/RWS on the web, how about a 1250 fps air rifle, wow. Here kitty kitty kitty.

10. TRAX and HORNS

Chicken,You know the saying as well as I do. You get what you pay for.
    About a year ago I came across a Anshultz 22 mag. with a mannlicher stock and double set trigger. It was a Anshultz not the Anshultz/Savage. It is the 2nd. one ive owned in the last 3 years. The first one I bought at a estate auction. 22 cal. mannlicher stock single trigger. The auction guy didnt havnt a clue what is was. I sold it about a week later to a gun dealer at a gun show. I barely made it in the gun show doors and the first dealer said " what do you have boy" I noticed spit running down his chin. His eyes almost popped out his his head when he saw it was not the Anshultz/Savage model. He asked me if it was for sell and I said everything is for sell, right? I gave him a price and he said that was way to much. But he thank me for letting him look at it and hold it. After walking around with it and having so many people stop and hold it, stroke it ect. the gun dealer walked up to me and handed me cash. I asked him point blank what he was going to do with it , he said its getting a sock and going to the gun safe. He said he is not looking at it for 10 years. To be honest I didnt really know what it was till I made some phone calls.
    By blind luck a year later I came across the 2nd Anshultz. (22 mag). I figure I'll hold on to this one for awhile. Its kind of funny that a lot of guns guys dont know much about them. But find a gun guy that does and its pretty cool to see how careful they are with it when looking at it and see their eyes twinkle. I have shot the 22mag. its is absolutely the truest rifle I have ever fired. Its bolt action with a 5 shot clip. Not sure what the wood is but its beautiful.
    Many many years ago I had the Brass color Benjaman. Dont remember the model. I do know it had the leather swab. (I dont even know if they use leather anymore). Pump that puppy about 4 times and it wood throw them out. Back then that was 400/ 500fps. It was a sure plinker.
    Their has to be somebody here in the states that makes a good one for a decent price. Just dont know who it would be. Got to look at the competition air rifles for a good one.

11. Dan

Dan Member

I have had several of the Daisy powerline series and wore them out over the last 30yrs or so. never had another brand. They were always gifts from my grandfather. I can say that they do work well for pidgeon depridation if you use the pointed field pellets or feather darts(which blow right through your target at ten pumps). One thing however is the inaccuracy of the "reflective electronic sight" on my current 845 model. It's made of plastic and doesn't hold adjustment well. it flexes and shifts easily, not holding true if you touch it at all. Every time i pick it up, i have to realign the scope. I think they have improved on this by using a more rigid fiber-optic style now. Its great to use those style scopes because you can track your target with both eyes focused in the field...

This reminds me of a really bad cartoon site that one of my kids showed me.

http://joecartoon.atom.com/cartoons/154-joemomma_tenpump_bb_gun

12. slimbad

slimbad Member

chickendumpling,

You asked a "question". I took the time to find a source to answer it. Apparently Greg0187 came to the same conclusion since he referred you to the same link/site (post #7 this thread) to help you in your decision to buy your pellet rifle. And yes, I own several weapons - from bb-guns (keeps stray dogs away) to pellet rifles, rifles, shotguns, and handguns. Start over and read these "interesting replies" and hopefully you can make a good decision on your purchase. Let us know what you find out "elsewhere" on the RIGHT forum lounge:rolleyes:........Have a Wonderful Day..........later, slim

13. Schick

Schick Member

I have looked into numerous makes lately as I plan on buying an air rifle soon.

What type (not brand) are you after, precharged or pump? Rifle sin both camps sre made to produce great feet poer second results. I am considering a nice precharged. Some are faster than the good-old bottom break or new side break pumps.

The precharged from Airforce are nice, but maybe a little too space age for some tastes.

Which caliber? The .177s are fast, but he .22s are actually getting close to 1200 fps nowadays. You can alway sspecial order one of the "big boys" like the heavier 9mm and larger calibers from the east. Over in Korea and in other places, folks are actually taking deer the size of small whitetails with 9m and larger precharged rifles.

One thing to note; the fast rifles (German, Korean, American) are not exactly quiet. The Airforce Condor is probably as loud as a 22 rifle.

What ever you decide, consider quality pellets. New pellet technology actually improves sppeds by as much as 200 fps. That's a hell of a difference.

Look at Airforce Air rifles, SamYang Big Bore, Benjamin-Sheridan (the pre-charged), and of course Walther.

And as for Germans not making good rifles since the war, I'm not too sure about that. There are some decent smokeless powder rifles from germany that preform well enough once you get over the $50,000 price tag. I'm sure the German air rifles are fairly decent. :)

Competitors up here sometimes use rifles by Feinwerkbau. These are Olympic grade, but real pricey.

14. Honestly, this is like asking what's the best car in the world :rolleyes:

You'll never get a straight answer and whatever is considered the best will have a price that's far too ridiculous to comprehend :eek:

To better answer your question, we'll need some info first:

1) What is your price range?

2) Do you plan on hunting or just target shooting?

3) What range do you plan on shooting the most? (yards)

I have a few rifles under my belt, but my absolute favorite is a modifed Gamo Whisper Springer :cool:

GRT-3 Trigger Blade
    CDT Turbo Tune
    Macari Tarantula Spring
    Custom Machined Guides

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It was good out of the box, but after the tune, it's now a perfect shooter :D

Chrony numbers are dead on consistent (no more than 10fps variance) even after going through an entire tin back to back :cool:

It's a tack driver @ 50yds and I get 3-5" groups @ 100yds w/low wind :)

Here are a couple of old videos I made before the mods began:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEvU_ClXLOw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA-1X3jGi1M

15. TRAX and HORNS

98 S E, That video blew my mind. Whats the fps ? Where is that puppy built? I noticed the elephant ears blowing in the back ground @ the 100 yrd. mark. Thats cool.

16. Out of the box, she chronied 1150 on lead and 1275 on PBA (numbers were all over the board)

That being said, don't get caught up in the hype of high velocity marketing schemes :rolleyes:

Breaking the sound barrier with a small caliber pellet will give you erratic results at best as the shockwave creates a pressure that destabilizes the pellet and sometimes causes it to tumble :(

In the world of air rifles, consistency is key...

What you want is the chrony numbers to be as consistent as possible while staying just below the sound barrier...

Most quality rifles will shoot lead anywhere from 900-1000fps...

After the tune on my Whisper, the numbers actually dropped to 945fps on my prefferred lead ammo, but stayed far more consistent than ever before (no more than 10fps variance, which is practically unheard of on springers)....

This means I can dial in my scope and shoot ultra-tight groups at long distances all day long without having to worry about a drop in velocity causing my groups to spread out due to heat and/or spring fatigue :cool:

And it's made in Spain....

Rick

17. zardoz

zardoz Member

hehe... google up "BB Minigun" some wicked cool stuff there ;)

z

18. greg0187

Cool. But not $3500 cool.

19. Barybema

Barybema Guest

Depending on power, they can be pretty loud. There are actually airguns made to fire .44 black powder pistol bullets. You only get about 8-10 shots with a full pre-charged compressed air canister, but still...

20. zardoz

zardoz Member

LOL no not that cool for me either ;)

I wouldn't pay that... but if offered to play with one... :)

z