1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

oops I did it again...wheels and tires hijet

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by fupabox, Nov 11, 2009.

1. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

Loved the look and the lower rpm with the Cheviot hotwires ( first photo) they rode slightly better over small bumps but were tramlining a bit.Because my spring lift has settled to around 1 1/4 over stock,and the rims have a 0 offset I was fine alone but with a passenger was getting some rubbing at near full lock. The 175/70/13 seemed a good size so I went looking for a better rim option, and think I've stumbled on the ultimate minitruck rim.The high fuel efficiency honda civic VX from 1992/1993 had some extremely engineered ultra light rims made specially by Enkie..heres some surprising numbers...stock steel daihatsu rims with new 145/80/12s weight 21 lbs per rim/tire combo...the aluminum cheviots I installed with 175/70/13 winter tires...31lbs ..thats a lot of extra unsprung weight.....the good news..the civic vx rims with 175/70/13 winter tires...20.5lbs per rim/tire:eek: wow..these are feathers and have a n optimum offset even with my 15mm spacer adapters..(the honda rims are 4x100.. I had some adapters made up to experiment with after my buddy couldn't locate the ones he promised months ago). The ride/handling/acelleration..with the vx rims is night and day over the heavier cheviots,and also far superior to the stock 12s...no comprimise with these rims/tires..Did some snooping and the VX rims weigh 8 1/2 pound each without tires.they were sought after by honda guys for racing but are not so popular anymore as everyone is going to 14s or higher so ther should be plenty for minitruck guys to gobble up.:)camera phone pics a bit crappy but you can see what they look like

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
    Acerguy likes this.
  2. olddatsunfan

olddatsunfan Member

Very nice, I love low unsprung mass. Trouble is I'm using old steel wheels and they are heavy, more in the range of the 30lbs you've got ...

3. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Nice. They look great!

4. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

I like the originals, but the new ones give it a "loaded stock version" feel.

5. fupabox

anyone wanting the old cheviots from the first pic..I'll let em go cheap..they will fit any 4 bolt pattern from 4x100 to 4x115...the 1mm spacer in the pic is matched to the bolt pattern and then is hub centric to the rim itself..the rim has oval shaped holes with deep lug nuts to bolt them on. the offset is near zero so they will stick out a bit,and they are a bit on the heavy side. If you have 2" or more of lift they will not rub ,anything less forget it..they are from the mid 1970s and come with all lug nuts centre caps and 4 wheel locks that use a key?? a real small key..and the 4 multi lug adapter plates..come with 175/70/13s winter tires balanced with stick ons and about 80% tread..$125 picked up and they're gone

Attached Files:

6. olddatsunfan

olddatsunfan Member

That's a good price for tires and rims! I've been trial fitting some of my 14" wheels on for size and with the low offset that they have I haven't had much luck keeping the wheels inside the fender with them. I think that a Honday FWD offset would work like yours Fupa, I'll have to keep my eyes open ...

7. project_x

project_x Member

Fupabox,
    That's a great deal. I'll interested in the tires and rims. Can you contact me thru my email project_x AT myblackdog DOT com so I can discuss pickup with you?

Thanks,
    Rob

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  8. andy_george

andy_george Member

Great info on those VX wheels. I just got a free set of 13" steel civic wheels off craigslist, and I plan on putting 155/70/13 tires on since my van isn't lifted at all. (I'm using the stock 12's for mounting snow tires). The unsprung weight and rotating mass issues do bug me, and I'd love to find some VX wheels.

If anyone ever comes across a set please let me know! Thanks!

-Andy

andy_george@yahoo.com

9. zardoz

zardoz Member

A couple of questions...

Is it because of the offset or the tire size that you need to run a 2 inch lift for these rims? I suppose what I am asking is if perhaps the rims had a different choice of rubber would they fit a stock height truck?

z

10. fupabox

I guess you could say it's both,without the larger diameter tire the rims would fit,with the same tire with a better offset the tires work..so a bit more lift and I wouldn't have had a problem..I'm mostly street driving so I don't want too much lift and/or cv angle

11. zardoz

zardoz Member

Fupa.... dude, you have a really nice looking truck! Wish I could find some 13 inch alloys for my zuki... ah well, I'm sure I'll find something soon enough :)

z

12. fupabox

13. fupabox

Cheviot hotwires are gone..thanks all:)

14. andy_george

andy_george Member

Found a set of aluminum wheels off a 2001 Daewoo Lanos locally on craigslist. $100. They aren't light like those VX wheels, but they'll work.

Also, they are 14". I can keep a very similar overall diameter by mounting 165/60/14 tires. The overall weight may be up compared to stock, but I won't tell anyone if you guys don't......:cool:

15. olddatsunfan

olddatsunfan Member

Whoa, which company is making 165/60/14's Andy?

16. andy_george

andy_george Member

tires-easy.com. It's a Westlake branded tire....probably as far from premium as posible....but for my mini on gravel roads it should work.

-Andy

17. olddatsunfan

olddatsunfan Member

Thanks Andy, I'll check them out, tire sizes in the little guys are hard to find so you gotta take what you can get right!