1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Odometer/Speedometer disconnected

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by CtrlZ, May 24, 2020.

1. CtrlZ

CtrlZ New Member

I think i disconnected the wires from my odometer and speedometer when i opened up my dashboard to clean behind it. But the wiring diagrams in the manual aren't helping identify which wire might be relevant, and i can't see any disconnected wires so far. Kind of at a loss here. As with computers, it seems like every time you try to fix a problem on a vehicle you end up creating a dozen more.

Juju1187 likes this.
  2. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

There isnt a wire, it is old school.. a cable driven mechanical speedometer. It is very tricky to get it back in as there is not a whole lot of room. I personally remove the two screws from the brake reservoir so i can move it out of the way and snake my arm up behind the cluster to push it back in. With my large hands, I can only get a couple of fingers on the cable but I can get enough of a grip on it to snap it back into place.

Juju1187 and Limestone like this.
  3. Reese Allen

Reese Allen Member

RK is right, it's a mechanical cable that needs to be plugged in. My technique is to reach up behind the clutch pedal with my left arm. By the time I have a good grip on the speedo cable I'm on my back with my lower body hanging out of the door It's impossible to feel the back of the cluster to find the socket the cable wants to plug into, but if you keep trying to push the cable toward the steering wheel, eventually you'll hit the target and hopefully feel it click into place. The click is sometimes tough to feel but once it's engaged you'll be able to tug on it a bit and feel some resistance.

It's definitely a bit of an art form. I've done it about 3 or 4 times now. One time it went right on in just a few seconds, another time it was 5 straight minutes of swearing and cutting up my arm. I've found that it helps to unscrew the cluster and pull it out so that you can see the end of the speedo cable, and what the socket looks like, to get an idea of what you're dealing with. And then I try to position the speedo cable to be centered up in that window in the sheet metal as best I can before I re-seat the cluster and then get down on my back to try to plug the cable into the socket.

Limestone likes this.