1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie - 2005 Minicab U62T w/Dump Bed

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by visket, Jan 21, 2016.

1. visket

visket New Member

Greetings All -

I have jones'd over these minis for years, not knowing anything about them other than I would get one - one of these days. That day came January 19, 2016. As you can see, I got a stock-as-a-rock 2005 Mitsubishi Minicab w/AC and a dump bed. I'll try and upload a picture:

I have TONS of questions. I have perused this forum, and found that the threads that catch my eye either have no answer, or the URL links are no longer valid, or the inline pictures are deleted. Very frustrating. BUT, I have done my homework on the forum, so I think I can start posting a topic or two without getting beat up too much. But fire suit on, just in case!

I also received a 4" lift kit in a box. I don't know where the lift kit came from or if it is complete. I am emailing some vendors to see if it is their kit, and if so, some installation instructions.

I have ordered the English shop manual (James Danko's) and am awaiting it's arrival. I am assuming explain how to replace the clutch/PP/TOB.

In the meantime, I'll get to know "Moby" a bit better. Time to get our the socket set.

Take care -

Attached Files:

2. Outpost603

Outpost603 New Member

If by chance you're still a member - how did you end up liking your U62T?

3. visket

visket New Member

Greetings - loving it!

I kept it stock, with the exception of substituting the 160-ish lb front coils with 225s of equal length, which really improved the ride.

Unless you make some major modifications to the suspension, don't expect to get past any even moderate ruts on the trail. But major mods = major $$$. So I'm keeping Moby's suspension (except the coils) as is. I will replace the 145R12 tires with 155R12s when the current rubber (Yokohama Super Diggers) wears thin.

Here are some pics - I made the world's smallest Overlander out of him.

The rooftop "tent" is a full-sized "tent cot", and fits in the bed (if needed) when deployed. The sides of the bed drop horizontal, which gives lots of room for my camp stove, wash basin, water jug, etc... There's a hitch winch, which I haven't had to use yet.... yet, mini recovery board (which I have had to use), hatchet, machete, fire extinguisher, propane "bottle", scissor jack, gallon gas/water Rotopax, a CamCan storage bin, and a camp shovel. In the bin is a 72-hour bag, chains, straps, etc.. And, not shown, is the camp bin (toilet, stove, etc..). Lots of sun here in AZ, so I got a mini canopy (4'x6') as well.

All-in-all, if you don't take the "4-wheel drive" too seriously, your expectation will be exceeded.

Mike

Attached Files:

4. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

Jones, I thought your name was visket or some *%^&#$@!

5. visket

visket New Member

I get the email from the forum as "Kevin@", or "Jones@" or "Booger@", or "whatever@".. Obviously - no connection to the actual posting member.

BTW - anything to add to the thread?

6. Outpost603

Outpost603 New Member

Mike that mini-overland setup is spot on - excellent work! You're every bit as equipped as the camping setup in my JKU!

I'm glad you're enjoying the minicab, I bought mine with the intent of having a little city truck I could use year round more so than building an off road rig. Right now there are some issues with the 4wd but I suspect I'll have them sorted before winter comes back around. Definitely going to look into getting some springs as you mentioned, the front end is a tad bouncy as-is with the 2" lift.