1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

newb in phoenix, az. haven't a clue what i have...

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by arizonaminicab, Mar 16, 2011.

1. arizonaminicab

arizonaminicab New Member

i sold it to them for like $400? took a loss on the unit. i paid 5 or 550 for it...then i pulled the whole motor/tranny assembly out...the motor was siezed up tight, 1 or 2 valves were locked up...i think 2 of the jugs were pretty nasty looking...i soaked them all in marvel mystery oil for quite awhile then beat them free...got it running (see links in this posting for timing the cam) but it smoked, the radiator was clogged to hell and my wife was complaining about it being there so i said screw it and got rid of it.

2. Krazy Ken

Krazy Ken New Member

I can see why. I tried messing with the carb an hour ago and just as i thought i got it close... It started backfiring and blowing vacuum hoses off.

3. Dan

Dan Member

after reading the history of your mini, I doubt you'll recover from the 20 pSI cylinder...

4. Dan

Dan Member

well, maybe if its just seized.

5. Krazy Ken

Krazy Ken New Member

Don't scare me like that Dan. Do you think a new set of rings will help? What's wierd is before I ever knew it was seized I would have never known. It idled nicely and started easily until this weekend when I put the gasket kit and water pump in that I ordered from you. I got the idle pretty close on the adjustment just by tinkering with it because I could not understand the procedures in your Pdf. Problem is when I started to get it to run nicely it started backfiring and blowing vacuum lines off the intake. What's your suggestion? Is all my effort for nothing?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  6. Krazy Ken

Krazy Ken New Member

Oh and when I ran my fingers along the cylinder walls when I had the head off I couldn't feel any scoring or scratches.

7. Dan

Dan Member

yeah, its probably a seized ring. and its likely that you're off a tooth or so on the timing if it backfiring through the intake...

8. Krazy Ken

Krazy Ken New Member

When before I took the timing belt off I marked every single pully/gear and the belt so I would realign it back to exactly where it was. Could it need adjustment through the distributor?

9. Dan

Dan Member

there's more to the belt install than what you see on the outside. it has internal balancer that needs to be in sync too. I also saw mention of a stuck valve. might be recurring problem since it hadn't been run much. is your distributor points or electronic? they made changes in late 80's might check points if they are there. could be 180 off but doubt it would have run at all... I would still look at belt timing . all of the dots and arrows should come back in alignment at every other or every 4th revolution. when the tensioner is set, it pulls the belt around a little. I've missed by one tooth a few times.