1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New York State and Mini trucks

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by H Privetts, Jan 4, 2020.

  1. milmor88

    milmor88 Member

    Crap also did you have to send in proof of insurance, last question of the day i hope :).
  2. matt167

    matt167 Active Member

    Nebraska, they have a mini truck law which allows their use. Just not highways https://dmv.nebraska.gov/dvr/title/minitruck.. So unless you care about running a highway you don't have to stick to 25 or older in Nebraska. You just can't go cross country either.

    Vermont gives you a plate ( single if Antique plates, both if regular plates I think ) and a registration which has a place for transfer likely for out of state purposes on vehicles older than 15 years... The odometer disclosure is tied in with the Vermont bill of sale. You don't need it, you can send in some chicken scratch on a sticky note and they will take it.. I opted to fill them both out, just cause.. Vermont is THE state for obtaining titles to lost title vehicles

    And no, you don't need proof of insurance, although Vermont does require it they don't look for it till you get into a fender bender. Just stick insurance on it before you drive it. Whatever the minimum is in your state is fine. Vermont's minimums are pretty low
  3. milmor88

    milmor88 Member

    Thank you for all the wisdom and patience with me, I owe you a beer or something :p, especially if i get it all works out.
  4. milmor88

    milmor88 Member

    Also did you put the short VIN or add zeros or x's to make it 17 characters long? A guy from the mini truck facebook group got denied last month

  5. mr.mindless

    mr.mindless Member

    NYS titled mine with the short serial number, from a NH transferable registration.

    adding zeros won't make it into a true VIN. year and manufacturer won't match, check digit won't check. Not sure if that matters when padding a number or not...
  6. milmor88

    milmor88 Member

    I'm going to go ahead and try it with the short vin and see how it goes
  7. Lynx

    Lynx New Member

    N.Y. DMV told me to go with the short vin.
    Then told me to bring it back ...
    Are you trying a truck? Or as a samurai?

    I'm thinking the sAme but still not sure to do a carry or Samurai after you post showing the rejection letter.

  8. matt167

    matt167 Active Member

    Looks like he tried to register it as a " Mini Truck".. Remember that these are federally exempt motor vehicles, NOT " Mini Trucks ". You tell a DMV they are a " Mini Truck " and the DMV's reject them because they have old laws against them when they were imported as used farm equipment.. Being as long as your truck is 25 years old or older ( and imported as a federally exempt motor vehicle ), and you call the truck just what it is, which is Suzuki Carry, Daihatsu Hijet, Sambar, Mini Cab, Acty or whatever it actually may be.. Don't try to register it as a truck only a 2 seat passanger vehicle

    The mini truck laws are a grey area, as some states had laws to license them well before they were 25 years old. Always some form of low speed vehicle or limited road use, to the point that sneaky people used to get them through illegal states and then laws were written against them ( which is where the Vermont law comes from ).. BUT, imported as an exempt motor vehicle, it complies with DOT/FMVSS and EPA regulations through exemption.. And since Vermont follows FMVSS and EPA regulations then it's actually legal.

    I did not add extra characters, and I've got everything from them
    Limestone likes this.
  9. Lynx

    Lynx New Member

    Well i wasn't expecting anything but got my VT plates. Then a valid sticker to go on the rear plate and the form I sent for the registration.
    I did redo the first from from truck to car.
    For model I put dd51t/CAR (short for Carry).
    For the seller I put the exporter and their e-mail. But my address in U.S.
    Hope the local law don't give me trouble.
    I guess the virus could be used as a reason to be stranded in New York. I think anyone from N.Y. is expected to be quarantined for 2 weeks. Driving with bandito bandana might help...
    Good luck and please be safe.

    敬虎 野郎
  10. H Privetts

    H Privetts New Member

    Hi Lynx, just sent my stuff out to vermont, i will update everyone to see if mine gets through. I have done pretty much as you did, fingers crossed.

Share This Page