1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to the mini world!

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by PapaBear, Sep 11, 2008.

1. PapaBear

PapaBear New Member

Hi all,
    A Quick bio. I am the new owner of 2 minis. A Diahatsu hi-jet and a mitsubishi mighty mits. both are 89-90 models (near as I can Figure) These were given to me by my employer. (U.P. Railroad) Body in good condition, but pretty worn out mechanically.
    From what I have read so far, These are a one off kind of thing. For example: 1990 Mitsubishi Mighty mits
    high top U.S. model
    550 c.i./3 spd./4-wd/carbbed
    Left hand drive
    MPH speedo

Diahatsu hi-jet
    550 c.i./3spd./4-wd/injected
    Left hand drive
    MPH speedo

It seems parts/motors, etc. are hard to come by:frustration:
    My thoughts were to make the dump/sissor bed into a trailer (convert the mech./hyd. to a 24v electric/hyd.) and make a truly Mighty mits by sticking a v-6/trans and trans axle, mid engine in it. :eek: (of course I would not have 4-wd anymore)
    Any thoughts? Am I just Stupid? Have I finally lost it as my wife would suggest?
    These had no paperwork with them. These are streetable in Wyoming, Just don't know what kind of hassles I would go through to get like a sheriff's title.
    P.S. Will have a lot of parts available I.e. glass, trans./motor/ pumps, Etc.

2. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

you've deffinately come to the right place for parts and help. the v6 conversion sounds fun, but the parts you need may be a little less complicated to find than you think. keep us posted either way.

3. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

You could mount the eng/transaxle vertically. Run shafts from the transaxle to the front and the rear. Then you would have full time 4WD, If you can find a way to lock the diff in the transaxle. Then you could also have part-time 4WD. I always wanted to do this in a 4WD buggy.

-Greg

4. PapaBear

PapaBear New Member

Great idea! It would take some thought and engineering, but it could be done, if there is enough room in the frame rails. Hey they were free. I could give it a try on one and if it did not work out, i'm only out my time. Thanks for the idea.

5. greg0187

The more I think about it the better the idea becomes. Most transaxles have a final drive of 3-4:1 then coulple that to a 6-7:1 axle and your final drive would be around 10:1. You would have some sick 0-60 times. Hope that transaxle is automatic.

-Greg

6. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

i was watching top gear last nite and the guy was driving a fiat panda with a 1.0L

he said "under the bonnet this car hasn't got an engine, it has a small field mouse named gerald. if gerald runs round and round his wheel fast enough this car goes from not to sixty in 18 seconds"

thats a sick 0-60... lol

7. greg0187

So now I have found myself standing outside with an ICE cold Coors light with my truck parked next to my 03 Saturn ION (Hood up) and a tape measure in my hand (My wife would kill me if she knew what I was thinking at this moment) . The 140Hp 2.2L I4 w/ a GETRAG 5 speed would fit quite well. The exhaust and intake would switch sides. The accessories would still face forward. The drive line length would increase. There is plenty of room between the frame rails (36"). The engine height is approx 6" higher (maybe a little bump in the bed would sufice). The HP would increase by 3X with AWD!!! Then I think "Maybe a Honda Civic or Accord motor would be better" After all they do make a locker for the transaxle diff and all kinds of performance parts. This has got to be the best way to swap an engine tranny on one of these trucks. Sorry...I'm thiking out loud again.

-Greg

8. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

Papabear, Jones Equipment Ft. Worth,Tx 817-698-0500 can get you parts for that USA marketed left hand drive Daihatsu. For tech. help I'd call Leon Barnet in Cal. 626-333-7897.
    Leon was left here by Daihatsu USA when they stopped importation of Daihatsu in the late 1990's. Leon knows these trucks like the back of hand. There is a few other places that parts can be had aswell around the country ask Leon for locations. I use Jones Equipment because they are close. Cant help with info on the Mit.
    www.traxandhorns.com

9. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

10. Dan

Dan Member

papabear,
    The mitsubishi parts for the lefty can be found through the automotive dealerships. use the online parts book in the reference section of the mitsu thread. The hydraulics can be swapped to a dc/hyd package. i had a fleet of them that would lift an overflowing bed full of dirt/ bunker sand all day. another member here has installed an aftermarket hydraulic pack in his lefty this summer, with good results. I've pictures of mine in the gallery being abused at a golf course. i lucked into the inventory from the place i bought mine from and have a fairly functional variety of parts for the 550's. give a shout out if you need any help. a few of us have full shop manuals for the mitsu's that were imported pre 95 and there are many other resourceful minds here.

these are ridiculous fun. have fun with your lefty's