1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to me '97 Mitsubishi Mini Truck 4x4

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by raenglehart, Feb 28, 2020.

1. raenglehart

raenglehart New Member

Proud new owner of a Mitsubishi V-U42T HNSV 3 (1997). 5 spd trans

This thing was entirely Hydrodipped in a Rear Tree Camo pattern and looks like they did a slam up job on it.

From JPCentre Website (Decoded):

Catalogue number A024A808A
    Description 660/4WD(TRUCK)<91-98M>; 000
    Colour code W74T
    Grade VX SPECIAL EDITION(3-GATE),5FM/T
    Model Code HNSV3
    Model MINICAB,BRAVO
    Code of upholstery 63H

I've had a lot of experience with the different makes/models of these Mini Trucks over my military career and all of the overseas locations, but this is my first one owned. As luck would have it I purchased it from a neighbor just a few miles from me who had it on his farm.

Attached are a few pics. Only things I need to address that I've found so far are all minor since it'll only be used off road. Windshield cracked, passenger wiper arm not functioning correctly..maybe stripped gear teeth, idk yet. Radio doesn't work well....all minor stuff I can live with. Now that I have this thing, my Yamaha Rhino will be going bye-bye. I look forward to contributing to the forum.

Roger

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  2. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

Raengl,
    Looks really nice! Good Luck with it! I really like that camo job!
    Limestone

3. raenglehart

raenglehart New Member

Thanks Limestone. I've always wanted one and what were the chances when I actually looked online I'd fine one 2 miles away......lol

Roger

4. Limestone

I always say, I'd rather be lucky than good!
    Limestone

5. raenglehart

raenglehart New Member

True statement my friend!!

6. Limestone

What part of the service were you in?

7. raenglehart

raenglehart New Member

Air Force....I was an aircraft electrician.

8. Limestone

Raengle,
    Thanks for your service. Got a cousin in the family, that I hunt with. He flew on Air Force One when Carter was in. He was a Radio guy in Comms. Several family members are serving or have served!
    Limestone

9. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Oh, maybe you may actually be able to figure out why they did all the ground controlled circuits on these things, and why they occasionally do things like run three parallel wires to the same place.

Limestone likes this.
  10. raenglehart

raenglehart New Member

Appreciate that. Can't say I ever did anything that cool (Air Force One related). I thought about joining their maintenance team at one time, but that was about as far as it went.......washing/waxing a big ass airplane if you had no real work to do just for S-n-G's didn't sound like a lot of fun to me.......lol. I had a lot of good times and a shit-ton of bad ones too, but wouldn't have traded the experience for anything.

Limestone likes this.
  11. raenglehart

raenglehart New Member

LOL, yeah maybe. I have a few old British classic cars and one thing about them is the wiring jobs are shady at best. I like a challenge....hahaha

12. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

Lucas - often referred to as 'Prince of Darkness', oftentimes accused of letting the smoke out of the wires. LOL . I owned a 1953 MG TD in the mid 60s so am somewhat familiar with this phenomenon.

As far as the ground controlled circuits, one has to just think of it as another way to get the same thing done. Instead of battery-switch-load-ground, it is turned into battery-load-switch-ground.

Fred

Limestone likes this.
  13. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

I cut my teeth on a Sunbeam Alpine, in the early seventies, 6-years after they went bankrupt. At least on the Sunbeam, the wiring made some kind of sense.

But, the Hijet, does strange things. I get the impression that they just didn’t use anything bigger than an 18-ga wire. If they needed more ampacity, they just ran multiples in parallel.

14. Limestone

I guess!

15. raenglehart

raenglehart New Member

I haven't had to do any digging into my wiring yet, but yikes....lol. It's okay though. I have rolls and rolls of bigger gauge wiring from everything I've worked on over the years and then some. I'm sure there will be a time I'll be elbow deep in the Mits sooner or later.