1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to me 1991 Hijet

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by JMM, Sep 14, 2019.

1. JMM

JMM Member

I just picked up my S83 91 dump-body Hijet, after it spent 8 weeks in transit. 130km, engine and trans feel very strong, body has been mashed on, but very little corrosion and over all a strong running, well handling truck.

However (and my fault for not checking) in 4WD the left CV joint sounds like a shaken box of angry demons. Outer boot is ripped (again, my bad for not seeing this on pickup), and the noise does sound like that's its home, but I'll ask those with experience:

-better to replace the whole axle/inner and outer CV's, or is outer a common failure here? If inners are known to go, I'd rather not cheap out and then tear it down twice

-if outer is likely the main issue, I see CV rebuild kits available. I've googled my brains out and see references to one's only if "stamped 75 LAC" or only if "stamped 71 LAC" etc. I assume this means there are multiple versions afoot.

Any CV advice for a miniruck noob? (And while I'm at it, is there a good repair manual? Stuff I see online is either for s110 or looks...errr, shady.

Thanks in advance!

2. ttc

ttc Active Member

Partsfan will have a parts fiche for your truck. You have to put in the build number. I order a lot of my parts from Impex.

3. JMM

JMM Member

Seems I never said "thanks" for your suggestion, so thanks!

4. ttc

ttc Active Member

did you find some parts? impex prices are great but it is a process to order. place order pay for parts. they get the parts and then invoice for shipping. they dont seem to let you know that they have them and shipping needs to be paid so one must check back to see. but usually i get parts in a week or so on the east coast of canada. faster sometimes then ordering domestic parts in canada

5. JMM

JMM Member

yeah, the site is daunting--so not yet.

6. ttc

ttc Active Member

what is you build number i can look it up in the fiche

7. JMM

JMM Member

S83P-039451--I actually was able to look it up, but I don't read Kanji! (and for some reason, Chrome didn't want to translate the part names).

8. ttc

ttc Active Member

create an account on parts fan it should translate then

9. ttc

ttc Active Member