1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Suzuki Carry Owner with weird problem

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by Michael@Morristown, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Michael@Morristown

Michael@Morristown New Member

Hey Guys I have a "carry" that i have just purchased was running fine when i first purchased it with just a little black smoke at idle . 2 days later i was driving it about 25 mphs and it started to blog down like it was flooding and would not rev up. pulled over and its idling just fine reving up just fine. pulled back out of the parking lot and and started the same thing. its running rich but when im at 3 or 4 gear over 25 mphs there is no hope and the weird thing it may do it 5 times in a row and then when you get into it the next day no problems at all just a little black smoke at idle Suggestions where to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

You might check your air intake system to see if there might be some reason/obstruction for it to intermittantly act as if its being choked. There may also be some reason for the carb to choke, maybe the water flow may be impeded as it needs the flow to allow the choke mechanism to function. Do a carb adjustment procedure. You might pull the sparkplugs & see how bad they are loading up with soot. just trying to give you some thoughts of what to check. There is a thread up above in the "stickies" about carb flooding.

Fred

3. littlesuzie

littlesuzie Member

I would say it is one of the following:

1. Float staying open
    2. Choke Flap out of adjustment and not opening up at full throttle, could be the cable or the adjustment screw needs a tweak. I keep mine all the way open in the summer and readjust in winter.
    3. Exhaust Blocked somewhere, depending on the year/model you have there may be a honeycomb type cat within the manifold that you can break apart with a screw driver.
    4. Your valves need adjusted.

If you have good compression and no starting issues are power issues normally i would guess #1 or #2.

Oh could also be a weak and dying Fuel Pump.

Start by eliminating each system, Fuel, Spark, Air. Has to be one of the 3.

Easiest way to eliminate Fuel is to bypass with a mobile gas tank and a pressure bulb like on a boat. If that fixes the issues you know that the issue is in the Tank, Fuel lines, Fuel filters or Fuel Pump.

Then move to Spark, compression, choke etc

4. Michael@Morristown

good compression in all cylinders and gas in the oil.. thoughts

5. fmartin_gila

About all that gas in oil indicates is that it has been severely flooding unless you have a mechanical fuel pump with a ruptured diaphram. Better solve your problem quickly as the cylinder walls are getting washed down and you won't have good compression too long, plus the possibility of the gas/oil mix igniting. Carb is the usual matter, but you will have to check or have checked by a competent person.

Fred

6. Michael@Morristown

Original carb is being sent to G&R imports first thing monday for a overhaul. When i purchased the thing the guy give me to old carb because he replaced it with a off brand aftermarket. He said he it was having problems so i inherited a mess. Beat it all they didnt even put the correct carb on the thing. 3+2 and they put a 2+3. So there is no telling what shape the vacuum lines are in so. Any other recommendations for my scenario?

7. Michael@Morristown

Anyone have a good vacuum line diagram because i'm going to need it

8. fmartin_gila

9. littlesuzie

littlesuzie Member

A 2+3 or a 3+2 carb will work on ur truck the only difference is the #1 port is reversed. Use the diagrams suggested on the forum and the image on GandRs website under additional resources and it will make sense.