1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New mini truck owner needs front end help!!!!

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Scott Murphy, Mar 14, 2020.

1. Scott Murphy

Scott Murphy New Member

Hello guys,
    I am a fairly new owner of a 1994 suzuki carry. This is my first post but I have done alot of reading up here, even before i purchased my truck. I purchased a suzuki carry from a guy off facebook. It seemed to be in fairly good shape and had plenty of accessories to seal the deal. The guy had installed a 3" lift but also lowered the diff. After seeing how it handled on rock roads and reading on this forum i decided it was best to remove the lift if I was going to beat on the truck like I wanted to. He kept all the original bolts and It wasn't hard to remove and return the diff back to its stock position. Now heres my problem. When on pavement and pushed in reverse the truck still wants to raise of and the tires begin to toe and start to slide... With the weight of two people and the power of the motor it is even worse and is eventually going to snap something.. Ive doubled checked to make sure I have everything back in the stock location. All U-joint seem to be in good condition, Wheel bearings are tight, Steering is fairly tight, when jacked up and all the weight off the wheels the free spin easily with no noise. The short side does have one CV boot thats broke but for now the CV still seems to function properly. I have searched for articles and found many with this problem with the lift installed but I can not find anyone who has it without the lift. What is bent or wore out to cause this problem?

2. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

Scott,
    Welcome! I myself searched and read this forum, a lot for a year and a half before I got online. I was given an 89 hijet , dump/scissor lift mini truck, 4x4 (in terrible shape), but workable! I really didn't have time to fuss with it right away, I would use my down time, resting my legs, like I'm doing now, going online and searching for info. Everything that the guys and gals before me, suggested not to lift over 2 inches to avoid problems. I agree with what you did there. I followed that, and am still in the process of rebuilding mine. In regards to the problems your having, I would really check out those front cv's, they could look good but may be worn. mine are original, they look good, but I peeled back the good intact rubber boot, by cutting the stainless steel zip tie. I found no metal shavings, the original grease was good, but I still cleaned it really good, and re packed with new clean grease, and installed new stainless steel zip ties. Did you check alignment? witch way is it toeing, in or out? It almost sounds like a worn tie rod end that's causing the wheels to toe. I see you've checked those things out. Like you said, you've found it with many who had the lift, but not without. Maybe the damage is done, and needs repair.:(Good Luck,
    Limestone

3. Scott Murphy

Scott Murphy New Member

Thanks for the reply Limestone. I too agree it sounds like the tie rod. Maybe i should just replace it to be safe. To answer your questions it toes out in reverse. So much that it picks the suspension up. As far as alignment, no it has not been align since i removed the lift. I know it needs to be and I plan on taking it to the alignment shop but I dont feel like that is causing this problem. It tracks true and straight in forward down the highway. Yes the steering has some play it in but it is a 94 model so I dont expect it to be new. The play is no where as near as much as my 2004 f250.

4. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

Scott,
    Think about it. If it toes out and LIFTS UP THE SUSPENSION as it is going backwards. The CV'S are rotating, along with the wheel's, naturally. Something that is turning,is possibly binding, that is causing the lifting. I'm sure your perplexed also. Crazy, I've seen worn parts, not show their face, so to speak, until we replaced them. Something is loosening up, or unbinding, when it goes backwards. For it to toe out, that's alignment issues, for it to lift up, I still say CV's! Good Luck!
    Limestone

5. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Does it do it if you push it backwards?

i’d check the track rod bushings.