1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Carburetor

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by jody, Jan 9, 2019.

1. lowranger

lowranger Member

My old carb didn't have any wires on it at all. Someone removed them. The black wire coming from the engine, is that a hot wire only when you turn the key on? What am I looking for as far as what that single wire coming from the engine is suppose to do.
    Also, I see the clamp on the new carb that holds the outside of the chock cable. But what I don't see, is how or where the small center wire of the chock cable is suppose to hook/fasten to. Does it come in the chock cable kit? There is nothing on the new carb that I can fasten that thin chock cable wire too.

Thanks again for your time

2. Limestone

Limestone Member

Lowranger,
    My bad, I remember that you said that there was no green triangular shaped plug in. In this plug is three wires coming out of the main wiring harness. One is red, with a white stripe, one is white, with a red stripe. tape those off, they went to the old two wire solenoid! The third wire is the single black wire, and yes it is hot when you turn the key on, this comes from the ignition wiring through three relays. Use a test light to verify! I went and checked my choke hook up, and yes, in a choke cable kit, you'll want to hook up the (wire cable), choke cable to the choke linkage. I did remove the small choke linkage limiter on the new carb. My mini sat for 10 yrs. and needed a complete fuel restoration, cleaning and upgrade! I understand what your going through. Think it out, and plan your moves, don't kink the cable, it needs to be firm yet relaxed.
    Limestone

3. lowranger

lowranger Member

Thank you soooo much for the help! I know what to do with the wires now. In attaching the small thin wire of the chock, did you have to remove a ball type connection to replace it with something else to attach the small cable to?
    If you can text me at 707-349-5572 I could text you back a picture of what I'm talking about. I can't seem to be able to attach pictures to this thread, it says they are too big.
    Thank you again!

4. Limestone

Limestone Member

Lowranger,
    I'm familiar with the ball type connector which is standard. If you look at the throttle cable end, that also has a ball, (swivel) type connection. Try googling choke cable hardware kit and you could see what's available to complete the end of that connection for your hook up. Its a rotating swivel, so it doesn't bind up as it turns. Work the choke manually with your hand, and you can see what I'm talking about.
    Limestone

5. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Active Member

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...c45-cd78f07a84d8&pf_rd_r=7SB7FJV3B45F8889R6PN
    It should allow you to hook to the ball on the carb. If not replace the ball stud on the choke, With the one in the kit.
    Now the hard part: Slit a 1/4-20X 3/8-inch long bolt length wise with a hacksaw, (this gives you a slot which will hold the cable); determine how long the cable needs to be, and slip an uninsulated crimp connector over the cable and crimp it on as a stop, then trim it back so it is only about an 1/8-inch long. Put the cable in the slit, and screw the bolt into the fitting to hold it..

Limestone likes this.
  6. lowranger

lowranger Member

I did work the chock by hand. What did you use to attach the thin chock cable wire to that ball type connector?

Thanks

7. Limestone

Limestone Member

Lowranger,
    take a look at the link that jigs sent you and scroll along the different linkage's. you have several options. I used one similar to the universal dune buggy one!
    (Great job, and Info, Jigs)
    Limestone

8. SDK1968

SDK1968 Member

cant swear it will work for your Mini.... but you might check out my carb swap thread.... the carb was only $39.

Limestone likes this.
  9. Limestone

Limestone Member

SDK,
    What part of Ohio are you from? I am located between Cleveland and Akron Ohio. Do you use your Mini on road or strictly off like me?
    Limestone

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020 at 5:08 PM
  10. Limestone

Limestone Member

Lowranger,
    I hope you are able to figure your choke out!
    Good Luck, and keep us posted with what you did.
    Limestone

11. SDK1968

SDK1968 Member

L,

im down in Gallia County (45631)

we have the golf cart style stickers down here & i hear they are gonna include mini's with an inspection in 2020.

currently my "road" trips are to the gas station at the bottom of the hill from our place. getting fuel for tractors & such with it & the rest of the time its on our little hobby farm. we keep orange triangle on her... but looking at switching over to farm use tags.

s

Limestone likes this.
  12. Limestone

Limestone Member

SDK,
    Great news, I didn't know that! Same here, I'll run it into an enclosed trailer, and run it out to our farm/hunting camp in northern PA.
    Limestone