1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[SOLVED] Need Sambar Alternator

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Diesel_Gypsy, Jun 11, 2021.

1. Diesel_Gypsy

Diesel_Gypsy New Member

Hello all . . .
    I have a 1991 Sambar KS-4 which needs a new alternator.
    It is a Denso 23700KA500. It had a dead armature.
    Nobody seems to have one and it is supposedly discontinued.
    Does anyone know what other alternator will fit on the EN07 mounting?
    Will a newer model Sambar alternator mount on the same mounts?
    Any help will be greatly appreciated!

2. Nimlo

Nimlo Member

I have the same model and now that you mention the non-availability of the alternator I’m sure mine will fail today :).

Have you tried Yokohama Motors, G&R, and the other usual suspects? I’m curious how this will pan out.

3. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

There are a few different alternators for Sambars.. they mostly vary in pulley type and connector style, but otherwise will bolt in. I did check the parts catalog, and I do not see any updated part number specifically for the 23700KA500 version though.

You may have some luck with BeForward. They have one that matches that part number exactly at the moment: https://autoparts.beforward.jp/detail/Electrical-Parts/Alternators/PA53796958/

4. Diesel_Gypsy

Diesel_Gypsy New Member

Thanks for the link. The picture they show is the right one albeit with a V pulley instead of the serpentine type I have, but that is not hard to change.
    The other "similar" products at the bottom show several newer Sambar alternators which have a different mounting. Are you suggesting that these would still fit on my bracket?
    These other ones have two wide spaced mounts on the pivot side where mine has a single wide mount.
    It would be great if these newer ones would mount onto the lugs on my bracket but I don't want to spend that much money on an alternator without some reassurance that it will fit!
    Has anyone done this? PLEASE let me know!!!

5. cop on my back

cop on my back Active Member

I got mine from BeForward. I have a couple extras that I plan to get rebuilt locally for spares.

6. Diesel_Gypsy

Diesel_Gypsy New Member

Good idea!

7. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

All of the KS and KV alternators share the same mounting mechanism. They may have the connectors in slightly different spots or have different pulleys.. but they should all do the job.

If the alternator is for the TT, TV, or TW.. then it will not drop right on. Those have a different mounting arrangement.

Limestone likes this.
  8. Nimlo

Nimlo Member

I may be speaking from ignorance but could it be rebuilt at auto electric shop?

9. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

YES! You need to go to an electric motor shop, like my past post indicates, and Walah! Magic, isn't it!
    Limestone!

10. Diesel_Gypsy

Diesel_Gypsy New Member

Thanks Nimlo and Limestone, but the armature is dead and so it would need to be completely rewound and I would think that would cost more than a replacement
    but I will check that out if I don't find another one.

I will check with BeForward on Monday about the one they have but it's well used and pricy, but we'll see.

11. Limestone

My electrical shop, here would do that for me, or even replace the armature! But their exceptional to most! On the other hand, They replaced mine with a higher amperage capacity alternator, as .I was re working my electrical system. You should be able to match yours up with a Denso, or Similar Racing style alternator, or one that goes onto a small tractor, or construction piece or equipment or tractor that's equivalent! WAI #12651N is what fit on mine, from my electrical shop, just for the sake of increased Amps. as my old one still works! There's no way in heck that there's only one Alternator that will fit yours! The industry just doesn't work that way! Even if it needs to be re Clocked, you have options! Good Luck!
    Limestone

fmartin_gila likes this.
  12. Diesel_Gypsy

Diesel_Gypsy New Member

Limestone, Did your new alternator fit on the bracket on the EN07C engine with no modification?
    This is my concern because the bracket is cast iron so it's not easily modified.
    It would be easy enough to add spacers etc. if need be, as long as the bolt holes are the right distance apart.

13. Nimlo

Nimlo Member

This is the question of the day. I was thinking of asking it too.

Whenever I get a new toy obsession I start worrying about spares. In the nineties I bought a ‘66 MGB and was smitten. After a short while I realized my parts collection equaled close to the value of the car. I scratched my head and thought it would be easier to simply buy another car. :) I’m trying not to repeat that again.

14. Diesel_Gypsy

Diesel_Gypsy New Member

Oh, sorry, I see yours is a Daihatsu so it would undoubtedly have a different mounting.

Limestone likes this.
  15. Diesel_Gypsy

Diesel_Gypsy New Member

If all else fails I will build a new bracket from steel and put in a north american alternator that can be easily found!

16. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

I have done exactly this for my Sambar. Most parts are still currently available new from Subaru in Japan, so I have been buying as many parts as I can as more and more parts are being discontinued every day. At this point, I have spent about twice as much in spare parts than I did on the truck in the first place... but it is nice to essentially have a "parts store" in my garage.

17. Nimlo

Nimlo Member

Hey please keep us in the loop how this pans out.

Perhaps you can sell your design and retire early.

18. Diesel_Gypsy

Diesel_Gypsy New Member

Hahaha, I wish!!!
    I've already been thinking of putting a propeller on a Delco and sticking it out the side! o_O
    So far I've just been charging up the battery and sticking to daytime driving because I have the belt off and
    the alternator is in pieces, but it sucks because the belt also runs the AC and it's been REALY HOT lately!

19. Diesel_Gypsy

Diesel_Gypsy New Member

Can anyone tell me if a 23700KA601 alternator will fit in the same mount as the original 23700KA500?
    They look the same to me (in pictures) but does anyone know for sure?

20. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

Yes, it will, since it also comes from another KS or KV Sambar. It also appears to have the same sense connector, so it should be plug and play, assuming it has the same pulley as you need.

21. Diesel_Gypsy

Diesel_Gypsy New Member

I'm sorry for those who might have been hoping that I would come up with a North American alternative to the alternator replacement problem
    but I wimped out :oops: and got a used 601 alternator from BeForward. I got it installed (fits perfect) and it works!!!
    I still might build a different bracket for a NA alternator, maybe this winter, but now the pressure is off and I'm back on the road.
    Thanks everyone!

Limestone and cop on my back like this.
  22. Limestone

Hey that's your prerogative!(choice)
    Thanks for closing it out, and explaining what you did.
    It can still help someone else!
    Limestone

23. Nimlo

Nimlo Member

i have the same year and model as you with the 500 alternator. Good information that the 601 works in its place.
    Would love for you to do all the heavy lifting to figure out how to use a NA alternator though. Would consider it a personal favor. :).
    Enjoy the summer my friend.

nimlo

Diesel_Gypsy likes this.
  24. Wonko

Wonko Member

I started doing a bunch of research on this. In the end I am getting a refurb from Japan myself too, but I thought it would be worth putting some of the info I found here.

There are a number of cross references on these, but none appear to be particularly available. A Toyota one I came across generally includes a pump and was going for something like $1400. Blech.

That said, different people in different parts of the world might have better luck. The other possibility would be to rework the mount a bit, and possibly need to reclock the connections.

That said, here are some that are supposedly direct equivalents:

Potential Cross-references for Subaru 23700KA601
    Subaru 23700K1600
    Subaru 23700KA600
    Denso 1002119360
    Denso 100211936
    Farcom 112148
    Bosch 0986JR0042
    Casco CAL40289
    Casco CAL40289AS
    Sando 2040289
    Sando 2040289.0