1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need mechanical help

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Bowjunky39, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Bowjunky39

Bowjunky39 New Member

i have a 2000 Suzuki mini truck that is in great shape. Only problem is that when I push button in to shift to 4wd the lever will not move. Is there a trick or any ideas what to do in order to test out the 4wd.

2. ttc

ttc Active Member

Is the button for 4 wheel drive and the lever to shift to low range? Do you have to be stopped and in neutral to switch from high to low in a carry?

3. cdover73

cdover73 Member

My Hijet ('93 S83P) had a similar problem. The 4wd would engage if pulled the handle up into low range, but would not engage in high when I pressed the 4wd button. Turned out to be frozen linkage on top of the transfer case due to rust and corrosion. The actuator could not overcome the seized linkage. I disassembled the linkage and belt sanded and lubed the parts everywhere they made contact. Works perfect now. Also, if your linkage is fine start tracing vacuum leaks to the acuator. Again, this was with a Hijet, the Suzuki may be set up totally different. Just trying to pass ideas along...

4. Nautydog1

Nautydog1 Member

vacuum leaks are 85% of carb and idling problems, use a vacuum gauge or carb cleaner, carb cleaner will send the engine to high idle if you have a vacuum leak, make sure the vacuum port in the air cleaner canister is working properly, also check that your vacuum advance hose isn’t cracked coming off the distributor to the vacuum manifold tree. The vacuum manifold tree is brass on the bottom to go in to the block and plastic on top. Plastic wears out with time and will break or leak, which causes a vacuum leak. Some manifold vacuum trees are 3 or 4 port, make sure to replace it with a new one. When I buy parts I buy 3 at a time that way I have them on hand or in case they can’t get them any more. The vacuum manifold tree is located behind the carb. If you looking at the carb from the right side of the bed, it will be to your 1 O’clock tucked down inside. Remember to use a marker or different colored tape to mark the vacuum lines so you know where everything goes back too! Good luck!’:cool: