1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need head haha

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab References' started by dieseldogsdad, Dec 2, 2009.

1. dieseldogsdad

dieseldogsdad Member

New head needed for a 98 mitsubishi. mini-cab. I just changed the head gasket on my mini and it is still getting coolant in cylinders, must have a cracked or warped head. Anyone know where to get one? Also can I reuse the head gasket after being torqued or do I need a new one of those again? Or is there somthing else that could be the cause for the coolant in the cylinders. It runs fine but has loss of power.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  2. Stormin

Stormin Member

Do you know of an engine shop close to where you live? They could pressure test the head for you, that way you know for sure if and where the head is leaking. And yes you would need to get another head gasket.

3. dieseldogsdad

dieseldogsdad Member

I am asking around at work to find out about a good shop. Alot of guys are telling me to try a product like Bar's head gasket repair in a bottle or liquid glass. Has anyone ever had any luck with one of those products or does anyone have any horror stories because they tried one. Let me know I'm not looking for a fix just so I can sell it, but I'm really not looking forward to tearing it all down again or spending a bunch more money.

4. cheepBeer

cheepBeer Member

if u fired it up, ran it around the block and worked out that it was still doing it straight away. Then YES u can b a ReD-Neck and use the head gasket.... i have done it with a Peugeot 505 Diesel when the detonation cap came loose:D

5. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

If you go out and talk to some old farmers they will tell you about glassing the engines in farm tractors many many yrs. ago. Yrs. ago you could walk in the drug store and buy liquid glass off the shelf order a milk shake and a grilled cheese sandwich for under 5.00. That aint happening no more. Most of it is sold on line these days. I will say that the "Steel Seal" has worked for me. It is liquid glass.

6. Dan

Dan Member

Are you 100% sure that it is getting coolant in the cylinders? I recently had a head off of an engine several times before we realized that there was no problem with the head. It had an abundance of residual coolant in the exhaust that took a while to burn off.

7. dieseldogsdad

dieseldogsdad Member

Are you sure?

I have not pulled any spark plugs yet plugs yet but after running for about 15-20 minutes it started to get hot, new oil looked creamy, and had to add about 1/2 gallon of water. I never changed the intake gasket but it looked ok.
    Do you think it would do that or would it even idle if the intake gasket was bad.

By the way I have read some previous posts about timing belt install from you Dan and was wondering where is this plug for the oil pump balancer? You know where you stick the 8mm rod? I couldn't find it near the oil pump gear or the front of the engine. Is my truck to new? It is a 98 mitsubishi.

8. Dan

Dan Member

sounds like you're pretty sure. sorry to hear that.

The plug is on the side of the engine below the sparkplugs.

9. dieseldogsdad

dieseldogsdad Member

Warped

I tried some Bar's head gasket stuff last weekend. Though it didn't hurt any thing it also didn't seem to help. I'll probably tear the head back off Christmas week (vacation days). Hopefully its just warped, not cracked (guess I should've had it checked the first time). Does any one know if I'll need a thicker head gasket if they machine the head down (example head -.010 gasket +.010) or does it even matter on this engine?

By the way thanks Dan I'll look there next time.

10. jgendr

jgendr New Member

Depending on what you need and where you are. I have a complete spare motor that needs rebuilding that has a good head on it. nOT SURE WHAT YEAR IT IS. I'll need some pics of yours to compare what I have to yours if your interested. I also have a 4x4 manual tranny for that same motor too. I may also if I dig deap enough in the boxes I got with my stuff have a complete gasket kit too. All cheaper than any price you'll fined. MUCH CHEAPER.

just let me know and see what i can dig out.

11. dieseldogsdad

dieseldogsdad Member

It was a warped head had it decked .010 worked fine, but I don't think they put my distributer back at same position. It's hesitating really bad and doesn't have much power for hills. I'm going to have to check the timing. It could probably use a carb rebuild too. Has anyone ever found a more simple carb for these? I don't need all the water controlled chokes and stuff I just want a simple carb.