1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Build up

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by minydigger, Oct 24, 2009.

1. minydigger

minydigger Member

Well awhile back I picked up a left hand drive 87' daihatsu 2wd with the dump/scissor bed it had broken the timing belt and the previous owner had taken the head off and pretty much lost a bunch of stuff.

So I pulled the bed off stripped the engine and trans out axles etc. I picked up a Dana 30 and 35 from a jeep with 3.07 gears and a 1.0L geo metro engine/ 5 speed trans. So thats the plan not much for pics I will grab some progress shots of what I got done so far tomorrow. Thought I would share.

2. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

sounds cool..post those pics

3. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Sweet! My Danas have 3.31's. Can't wait to see the progress!

4. minydigger

minydigger Member

Well I got the engine pulled from the metro and mounted up two of my tires, its beem kinda slow progress but should pick up some soon.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Oh and those are 29x10.50s super swamper sts's

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  5. project_x

project_x Member

minydigger,

Any more news on your build?

Cheers,
    Rob

6. milky

milky New Member

Your not kidding! Im droolin waitin to see this thing come together - hell if i lived close i'd be over his house helpin.

7. minydigger

minydigger Member

No more progress, but need to get my happy ass out there and work on it. I got to many irons in the fire right now with my jeep new trailer build and work. I do plan on working on it sunday if I can so I should have updates coming.

8. minydigger

minydigger Member

sneak peak [​IMG]

9. greg0187

Its interesting to see how much these trucks haven't changed from 87 to 99.

10. minydigger

minydigger Member

Not as high dollar as your build but it should be fun, how about a side shot with your engine in to see the ground clearance.

11. minydigger

minydigger Member

Well this build is going insanely slow I got the old brackets cut off the front axle and made the yokes to hook the drive shafts to the tranny and thats about it, its been to cold and I have been sick for the last two weeks. Hopefully it will warm up a bit and I can get back to it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  12. WELDER

WELDER Member

Looking good.

13. minydigger

minydigger Member

well I have the motor in place sorta, started buildind the motor mounts and such. Pics to come.

14. minydigger

minydigger Member

15. minydigger

minydigger Member

Things changed a bit switched axles to suzuki samurai ones, changed rims. Got rear axle burned in today need to flip engine around and button up the rest of the front 3 link after the engine is in its final resting place. I hope to have it running this weekend, still need to figure out how I am going to steer it and hook up the shifter cables.

16. greg0187

Alright! Awesome brother! Glad to see your keeping at it!! What are those? 33's?

17. minydigger

minydigger Member

Only 29x10.5s, How did you do your steering? full hydro?

18. greg0187

yeah... full hydro. If you wanted to keep it manual you could try to run a bell crank supported by pillow blocks opposite the steering box.

19. greg0187

or... and this is a big or... You could attempt a pumpless hydro system... Since the stock steering box is a linear actuator you could link up two hydraulic cylinders where one is driven by the steering box and the other steers the axle. You would have to provide a way to bleed the system and a bypass valve to center the steering. Im not sure how well this setup would work as it was just an idea i had been tossing around in my head. Probably be best to go full hydro probably wouldn't need much. I have a small danfoss hydrostatic steering box that would probably work and it was cheap. just add that a pump and a small cylinder. Fricking steering is a pain! no wonder i put it off until the end.

20. minydigger

minydigger Member

Slowly trugging along radiator partially mounted.
    [​IMG]

21. greg0187

Sweet! Eagarly waiting on the test drive!

22. minydigger

minydigger Member

who would of thought that jeep metro and suzuki would all mess together and make one custom drive shaft for a daihatsu

[​IMG]

23. D'Animal

D'Animal Member

Looks like you are making some Great progress.

24. greg0187

I have jeep/honda/suzuki. Sounds like you have a similar setup. They work well together. :p

25. minydigger

minydigger Member

Got some progress going on these days motor is out for hopefully the last time got to weld up the trans-axle while its out. Front suspension is almost done only need to wrap up the track bar. But here are some pics

[​IMG]
    and a possible cut pattern for the tires
    [​IMG]

26. greg0187

cool! I just got a knife to cut my tires. My skid steers need it bad. I've never cut tires before so it should be interesting. Did you ever figure out the steering?

27. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

You could mount an exacto knife end (the screw in cap that holds the blades)to an old soldering gun and then you'd be able to swap out different exacto carving tips and carve with a hot razor....or just buy one allready made but wheres the fun in that

28. minydigger

minydigger Member

Yeah my buddy has one of these so grooving is easy.
    [​IMG]

We have got a half ass plan for the steering but haven't put anything in action yet, looks like its going to be a short link to a double ended idler arm with a drag link back down to the axle. Hopefully manual steering won't be to much of a work out.

29. greg0187

FYI If you have problems with the stub shafts walking out of your transmission put a spring... like a lower gm door hinge spring... inside the splined slip section of the driveshaft. ;)

30. crisco

crisco New Member

i've been thinking about making a tire cutter for months now.... that's a good idea, i will have to see what one costs vs the x-acto / soldering iron trick lol