1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Muffler/exhaust

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by RICAHRDT, Mar 4, 2008.

1. RICAHRDT

RICAHRDT Member

Has anyone removed the muffler or done any mods on the intake & exhaust on the suzuki's I have a 93 Carry (just bought recently) and I ws looking under the truck notice a big ole air stopping muffler. I really don't use mine or won't use it for much hunting. So i wonder if anyone removed there's and what teh outcome was. loud or increase in power. ?? What about an air breather or snorkel kit. If anyone has any ideals ????? or thoughts
    thanks

2. DRW

DRW Member

I have been told that making the catylitic converter go away really wakes them up,mine does not have one fortunately.I am looking at adding a UNI brand universal oil wetted foam slip-on to my existing air filter canister intake to act as a precleaner for the dust.If not for the dust where I will be using my truck I would make an adapter to use a K&N or UNI filter by itself, the stock airbox looks to be very restrictive.

3. RICAHRDT

RICAHRDT Member

I DIDN'T notice a cat. but it definetly has a muffler. I just don't know if its worth it to remove it, Yea i did check out the air in take. gotta do something with that. I did see a picture of a truck that had a snorkel. that's what i want but haven't had much time to get into that yet. or locate one i can modified to fit . I just wondering what will happen good/bad if i remove the muffler. and go straight pipe, sometimes if you do these mods. you have to get into rejetting and air breathers all together. I know on atv's its a do all or nun. kinda thing or so i've been told. thanks

4. DRW

DRW Member

You could always have a good muffler shop wack off the old muffler and slip in a universal glasspack, I bet that would be a unique sound! Open up the intake side however you see fit and then do some plug reading to keep an eye on the jetting.If you need a bigger main jet then get a torch tip pin drill set and have fun.Might even bump the timing up a tad and run premium.

5. draggbody

draggbody Member

use a "turbo tube"... it is sort of a mix between a flowmaster and a glasspack... we use alot of them on small engines w./ good results and they are cheap... you might even bump up the pipe one size....

6. larryn2o

larryn2o Member

a glass pac on a 3 cylinder motor is loud & sounds like a kazoo . with no cat it is even worse. i dont mind loud ,but the buzzing under load sounds like crap.
    i took my Midget to the local muffler shop & had them run 2 inch from the manifold back (it never had a cat) . then slipped different mufflers on till i got one that i liked the sound . i ended up with a small turbo and after the axle i put a twin tip. i then put a freeze plug in one side of the tip. i've found that this kills most of the buzzing going down the road . i ended up with a full 2 inch system that has a nice bubbling rumble at idle , gets loud when under a heavy load , and no raspy sound.
    total cost under $100

7. RICAHRDT

RICAHRDT Member

might just leave it be for now, Or do like you did and play around with diff. ones till i like the sound. that's a good idea. i don't want it to lound . she a good sound and one i can hear. so i don't over rev. like i'm doing now. She's very quiet now. as soon as i get her back ii'm installing a tach for that. than i'll work on the sound. than the air breather
    Thanks

8. jbarv

jbarv New Member

The muffler on my 93 Suzi kinda accidently broke off.... it doesnt sound too great. Its going to the muffler shop when I get a little time for a 2 inch pipe and another muffler.

9. draggbody

draggbody Member

2 inch is WAY to big for a 660cc engine... stock civics are 1 3/4 and they are 1600cc... i would only do 1.5 because that is as small as muffler shops can do...

10. pepci

pepci Member

I went with 1 1/2 pipe on mine and also a smaller muffler to keep it quiet and it works great.

11. Caleb Roth

Caleb Roth Member

Pepci did you notice any power or performance increase with your new exhaust?

12. Ak thrower

Ak thrower Member

I was wondering what it would sound like if you took the stock muffler off , replacing it with a section of pipe and installed a muffler off a 4 stroke dirt bike or atv !!

Just a thought .
    plus you could shave a few pound off the truck !

13. pepci

pepci Member

I really haven't noticed any more power from changing the pipe size just know it exhausts better so I can work on the intake part now. As for the dirt bike muffler it makes the cab unbearable to drive for any lengths of time due to the decibles.

14. larryn2o

larryn2o Member

a 3 cylinder motor sounds bad with any straight through muffler. has bad harmonics and is LOUD.