1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

motorcycle engine

Discussion in 'Performance' started by sylster, Nov 8, 2008.

1. o8k

o8k Member

Im a little sensative to this comment that makes V-twins come off as "bad". Yes V-twins are typically lower in power-to-displacement by design. They are designed on purpose to enhance torque. The design does this at the expense of power. Power that a similar in-line engines gains ONLY by higher RPMs. A well ballanced V-twin is right up there w/ the in-lines (LOL ducati).

So if your valuing an engine swap based on only power, i concede to your comment. However i counter with the fact that torque is a commonly overlooked design nesesity, more so for daily driving than racing.

Two extreem oposite examples:

Honda S2000 240hp 153 ft-lbs (gutless below 6000 RPMs but blows doors off in a flat out race)

vs.

TDI Jetts 100Hp 177 ft-lbs (might beat a honda FIT in a race (maybe), but dont have to drop 3 gears and darn near blow up your engine to pass someone on the freeway.

Ashnkooshe likes this.
  2. o8k

o8k Member

My only other thoughts... was that the Tires smoking in that photo or the engine? :sly::sly:

3. Colin

Colin Member

Whoa, don't get all butthurt.

I'd swap a boxer. Who said anything about inline fours?

Ahh yes, it was easy for me to overlook that small detail way down here in Minnesota, which is situated near the sunny equator.

If you're interested in swapping a Harley engine and a functioning heater core is a requirement, I suggest finding a V-Rod engine as a donor. :p

Ashnkooshe likes this.
  4. o8k

o8k Member

I didnt mean to come across as Butthurt. However i did find myself compelled for some reason to defend the V-Twin (an engine im fond of). I can get a little exciteable some times for no apparent reason.

In-line fours... I guess I did :confused: Not sure why, guess i just left out the Boxer from my mental inventory. Even Better!.... /slaps self

5. confuzed

confuzed Member

Colin I thought you might appreciate heat to lol but I guess if you can get from point A to point B fast enough heat would be a luxury lol. As my daily commute is 3 minutes i don't relly get heat anyways, as it takes a while for the little Subaru to pump heat up to me

6. Colin

Colin Member

I don't worry too much about heat, either. I normally commute on the Panther during the cold months. :D

7. confuzed

confuzed Member

Panther? Is it your bus service?

8. Colin

Colin Member

What? No...

[​IMG]

9. confuzed

confuzed Member

ok lol got u now

10. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Love the leopard print. Grrrrowwl! :D

11. slimbad

slimbad Member

Colin,

I stared at the photo of your Panther for 20 min and I still don't get it. That's the weirdest ATV I've ever seen. Down here in Florida our ATV's have BIG knobby tires and a lot more ground clearance:D. It seriously looks cool. Never been on a snowmobile.....one day though.

Wasn't that you that posted a video of snowmobiling a long while back? If it was, I was thoroughly impressed with your "whoop-da-whoop" skills..........later, slim

12. pale horse

pale horse New Member

Bloody Aussies are nuts eh mate I thought playing dead while the cop went by sort of shined a bit. That geo sounded bad as I think it needed a shaft and twice the motor size it would get up there but needed to jump and could here flex in the power band just like a bike with a chain. Great vid and I to would like to tranplant a 4 cyl venture cycle motor or GSX.Kim