1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motorbishi

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by 3banger, Aug 15, 2008.

1. 3banger

3banger Member

Hey,

I've got a 1989 Mitz 4x4 van. It has an 800cc Mits engine at the moment. I've always planned on dropping a Suzuki GSX-R 750cc (or whatever) engine in it once the 3banger bites the dust.

HAS ANYONE ever torn open a Mitz gearbox and transfer case?

I'd like to gut the gearbox, cut the gearbox housing off right at the transfer case housing, make an end for whatever shaft I'm left with. Then attach the output from the motorbike engine to the transfer case.

I have some great machinists as friends but I'm overseas for 6 months and can't have a look at my van at the moment.

I'll see what google images shows me. I don't even need to know about Mitz specific transfer/gearbox just concepts.... because I might just plot an aftermarket transfer case in there and just make custom drive shafts.

Does anyone know any companies that make transfer cases for smaller vehicles?

2. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

3. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

quaife makes some great stuff... here's a video of my buddy testing one of their first LSD units for the vw drag racers... he was trying his hardest to break it. when you consider it's a rear engine car, all the weight on the drive tires, and about a 200hp motor and he's side stepping the clutch as it lights up both back tires... those things are tough!!

Mark Herbert was a true inovator in the VW industry, unfortunately a couple years after he drove this car a street racer crashed into him and he was killed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvP9Pe0a9DY

4. slimbad

slimbad Member

gear box/transfer case

3banger,

Forum member Dan has torn down a mits tranny assy there are photos in the gallery. it's titled 3 spd tranny but it really is a 4-spd that had 4th locked out - until he solved the riddle.

this shud get you there if not search for Dan in the photo gallery:

http://www.minitrucktalk.com/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/517

maybe what you are looking for ?????.........later, slim

5. 3banger

3banger Member

Thanks, Slim!

That was a WICKED post. After looking at all the guts that protrude from gearbox into the transfer case... I no longer think that's possible.

I'm going to have to knock on Dan's door.. he will know EXACLTY what is possible.

I had a look at Quaife the other day. What a great company. I don't think I can afford that route though... bummer.

6. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

what year of trans is this in this picture? my 92 mitsu trans looks nothing like this and mine is a 4 speed 4WD. great pic's!!
    wyatt