1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More Transmission Info Needed

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by Roy Ward, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Roy Ward

Roy Ward New Member

Found a Hex plug on the transmission case on the battery side, but it's a bolt 3 inches long with a tapered tip.
    I don't think thats my oil level check. I took it out and no oil there. Is the transmission oil fill and check plug on the battery side or the other side of the transmission around where the generator PTO comes off the transfer case.

Drkaufman likes this.
  2. Drkaufman

Drkaufman New Member

Have the same exact question.

3. dale hynes

dale hynes Member

On my 93 Hijet the transmission fill plug is on the battery side, as is the transfer case fill plug.

4. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

Mine also. Calling the Battery side the Left side, in case someone has had their battery moved, or modified! Even though these are older threads. I think it's good info to keep updated!
    Limestone

5. Drkaufman

Drkaufman New Member

Figured it out the hard way....Hex plug acts as a through pin holding up the reverse fork as a pivot. If you remove the hex plug and don't have reverse anymore you will have to remove the top plate of the shifter and reattach the fork to the pin.

Limestone likes this.
  6. Limestone

Best way to learn is by doing, I guess! More good future info, and knowledge. Sorry we didn't catch it earlier, to avoid any mishaps!
    Limestone

7. BrandonHi

BrandonHi New Member

Just happened to me, glad i found your post. You had to remove what plate exactly? On the transmission? I removed the fill plug and put my transmission in reverse then installed the plug and now i can shift into reverse again, but it's not engaging mechanically.

8. Drkaufman

Drkaufman New Member

You will need to remove the shifting plate on the top of the transmission by first disconnecting all the shift cables, etc. Believe there are 4 or 5 bolts on top and be careful in trying to keep the paper gasket intact. Removing the plate you will see all the gears and the reverse fork that should be attached/hanging from the tapered hex bolt as previously discussed.

9. BrandonHi

BrandonHi New Member

Got it. I think i crushed the end of my bolt when reinstalling it. It is too large in diameter to fit in the fork now. After grinding it down to fit will i need a c clip to secure it?

10. Limestone

Brandon,
    I haven't had the need to go inside my trans. for any reason, or to open it up, but if I were in your shoes, I would definitely use a "C" clip or Cotter Pin, after grinding down the bolt to re taper it! If you don't, and, as you can imagine, any loose metal in that trans. will, and can cause damage in the future! A "C" clip can possibly come loose, and cause a problem. I think I would try a Heavy Duty Cotter Pin, as they come in all different sizes! If it were me! Imagine and move your linkage to make sure it doesn't hit any thing! You can trim the cotter pin down to as small as you need to work, in this application!
    Limestone

Last edited: Dec 25, 2020
    BrandonHi likes this.
  11. Limestone

Brandon,
    I forgot to add, that I like to use a flat washer, against, what I'm securing, and then the Cotter pin! It makes for a smoother transition in the application! It helps to prevent the Cotter pin from catching upon shifting movements, in the Trans. and possibly, causing additional loose metal in the Trans. case! Good Luck!
    Limestone

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
  12. Juju1187

Juju1187 New Member

Hi, could any of you guys tell me what the torque spec is for the transmission pan on a '95 hijet? The service manual doesn't list it. We had dealer change the clutch for us and it's been slow leak. TIA

13. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Look up the standard torque settings for metric bolts. The grade is stamped on the head. You look in the table, and it lists the torque based on the tread diameter and pitch for the various grades of fasteners.