1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mitsubishi Governor

Discussion in 'Performance' started by auburn17, Dec 29, 2009.

1. auburn17

auburn17 New Member

Hey, I am new to the mini truck scene, I just purchased a 1990 Mitsubishi Minicab. I have broswed around on here about removing governors, but have not found anything that pertains to me (or that I can tell). When I shift into fourth gear the "governor" kicks in and will not let the truck run to its full potential. If anyone can help expalin, in detail, how to remove this I would greatly appreciate it.

PS: I have looked for the "box" attached to the odometer cable, and there is not one.

2. Craigy

Craigy Member

I am in the process of figuring this same issue out. Let me first say that I am still working on this, but it is running, and I have eliminated the governor. (seems like I may have some timing issues to work out) I bought a HEI ignition module (1970 chevy truck, 350 engine module will work) to replace the original ignition system. I found an electrical switch box (needs to be waterproof) and mounted it to the frame between the distributor and frame. [​IMG] (Hope this image shows up.) There are a red and green wire(they will be the orange and purple wires on the diagram) coming out of the distributor that you will need to cut and splice into to go the module. The black wire is connected to the module with a small bolt and is used for the ground. The red and green wire on the diagram, go the positive and negative side of the coil. Remove or unplug the ignitor, this should be located behind the radiator overflow tank, under the seat. You will not reuse it. Remove both of the wires currently on your coil, and find a new 12 volt source(I tapped into the hot wire going to the fuel pump) to attach to the + of the coil. Rotate the plug wires on the distributor one tower going clockwise. Remove the distributor and rotate the rotor 180 degrees and reinstall. Now you will have to advance the distributor (this is where I am having issues) clockwise. This is just about everything you need to do to make this work. Like I said, I am still working out the bugs, and am waiting for a mechanic friend of mine to fine tune it. I hope someone else will chime in and add/correct anything that missed or am wrong about. Search this forum. There is some good info here. Good luck. Is yours a left hand drive?

3. Craigy

Craigy Member

ok. Diagram did not load. Hum? I found the HEI diagram on this site. It is attached to another post about Cheap Mopar electronic ignition. If anyone knows know how to forward it, please be my guest. I also forgot to mention, there are two other parts of the governor system. The fuel pump relay has to be bypassed by unplugging it and basically inserting a small piece of a paperclip to overide the relay. And the fuel solenoid has to be dealt with. Since I replaced the original carb with another kind altogether, I did not have to deal with that.

4. auburn17

auburn17 New Member

Mine is a left hand drive. That seems like an awful lot of crap to do just to bypass a governor. They must really not want people to go faster than 25. I have also heard that the transmission has a high and a low, and you have to go into the transmission to change it. I think mine is in low since i am running such high RPM's. From what you have said, the only difference I can tell in ours so far is that mine is a 4-speed.

thanks for the info I guess I will be busy this weekend

5. Craigy

Craigy Member

Yea, tell me about it. There is a guy by the name of Dan on this forum. He is the guru of Mitsubishis. He has provide alot of info, especially the LHD models. Look under the members list. He has numerous posts. Lots of good info. Mine is a three speed. Do you have 4 forward gears? If so, the only low range you should have would be in 4wd, I think. If you do remove the governor, you should be able to get it up to 45 to 60 Mph or so. I am not sure. Anyway, good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

6. jmlanda

jmlanda New Member

Carburetor

Hi, I saw you mention that you replaced the carb in your mini truck. I'm having problems with it and I don't know what to do rebuild it or replaced it for something else. Could you tell me, what kind of carburetor you used like replacement?
    Thanks,
    :confused:

7. Craigy

Craigy Member

I used a CV carb off a Late model Harley davidson. Just had to build an adapter to mount it. I think it was a mikuni.

8. jmlanda

jmlanda New Member

Thank you very much for the reply. What kind adapter are you talking and how complicated it was for you to made it?
    Thanks one more time

9. Craigy

Craigy Member

ThE adapter will bolt on to the manifold, just like the carb bolts
    on now. Most motorcycle carbs are attached by a two id piece of fuel line to the manifold. The aren't bolted on-they are held in place by hose clamps. Sorry, but I dont have any pictures to illustrate.

10. jmlanda

jmlanda New Member

Hi
    I went to the Harley Davidson dealer in town and them couldn't tell me what kind of carburator I can use, so do you have any idea about the modelnumber in your carb or if you could take a picture of it and They may be able to help me out.
    Thank and I'm very sorry to bother you so much

11. Craigy

Craigy Member

The carb was off a 1997 Dyna. Most carbs will
    not "bolt" on. That's why I had to make an adapter. It was not hard to do, but some welding is involved.

12. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Your gonna get charged an arm and a leg at the Harley Dealer for a new carb. Might check ebay for a used one.

13. Craigy

Craigy Member

It does not have to be a harley carb. Probably almost any motorcycle
    carb will work, but I would at least
    try to get one off a bike that was
    close or larger cc wise, as your truck.

14. jmlanda

jmlanda New Member

Hi, I got the carburetor that we were talking about, a late model CV carburetor for Harley Davidson, I mounted it with no problems, but now I have an overflow of fuel in the engine, I adjusted it to reduce the fuel flow as much as I could and it is still overflowing the engine. Do you have any suggestion to fix this problem?