1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Minicab Won't Idle

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by Jim_Gill, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Jim_Gill

Jim_Gill New Member

I have a U42T Minicab dump with the 3g83 - Mikuni carb. The engine starts fine and idles up with the automatic choke - no issues. Once warmed up, it will not idle below 2300 rpm. Turning the idle down will cause the engine to start rolling the (rpms up/down) until it eventually stalls. Running the truck down the road - truck runs great until the first stop sign - then stalls.

Points to note:
    Carb is a new factory rebuilt from Yokohama - The old card had the same result/behavior as the new carb.
    Engine is a new rebuild from G&R
    New Cap/Rotor and points module.
    Played with the timing as much as possible at 2300 rpm
    Played with fuel air mixture screw - no luck
    Fuel pump is an aftermarket 2 wire - pumps fuel as expected
    Vacuum lines - no leaks - but I do not have confidence that they are connected to the correct ports. The vacuum advance is correct based on the Russian diagram (https://mitsubishi.epc-data.com/minicab/u42t/hfdv9/intake-exhaust/emission-control/)

So any takers on this?

Here is a couple of Videos:

Thanks!
    Jim

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
  2. swat1018

swat1018 Member

I'm in the same boat. My '95 just started to stall when idling at stop signs, etc today.

3. Mini_hijet

Mini_hijet Member

Has anyone solved this? My 1990 s83p Hijet is having the same problem. Any help is appreciated, thank you in advance.

4. Jim_Gill

Jim_Gill New Member

I haven't been able to figure this out - its kicking my ass. My staff are using it for hauling manure and I just have the idle screw cranked to keep t running. It has to be a vacuum issue - I really don't know. The old engine drank a quart of oil per week but at least idled.

I have the Suzi in my garage now doing some front end work. Once I get that up again I will pull the Mitsi back in and try to work it out.

5. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Active Member