Minicab 1997 - Temp & questions

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by JakobDK, Sep 19, 2023.

1. JakobDK

JakobDK New Member

Hi.
    I just bought a Minicab VX Special from 1997 in the country of Georgia (Caucasus) and I'm gonna drive it home to Denmark.

I have a few questions:
    1. My temp gauge is most often in the lower range, rather than in the middle (where I’m used to the needle settling in other cars). Is my thermostat kaput or how are the temp gauges/thermostats meant to operate in these trucks?

2. where is the alarm/speaker for the “key-in / door-open” located (i want to disconnect)

3. The car is in good condition, 45.000Km - is there some specific things to this type of car I should be aware of / check before setting off to Denmark, which will be a long 3months journey.

Many thanks from Georgia.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2023
  2. MikeD

MikeD Member

Wow sounds like one hell of a drive.

What engine is in this vehicle, the 4A30? Check under the passenger seat for vehicle placard info.

3. JakobDK

JakobDK New Member

Yeah its a nice trip. Rode to Georgia from Denmark on my BMW motorbike, crashed into a cow and injured my shoulder. Now the new version of the trip back home is in this Minicap with the bike on the back - I really like how the situation evolved.

The engine is a 3g83

4. MikeD

MikeD Member

Wild ride , way to keep pushing forward, although at a much lower speed compared to your BMW =] !I just noticed the pics you posted, looks awesome out there.

WOW almost 3k miles at 45+ hours according to google maps, holy heck.

1 - I don't know as much about the 3G83, although I'd rather run cold then hot I suppose? How often have you driven the vehicle? What is the ambient temp out? Your thermostat could be stuck open. Your temp needle could be busted. Or it could be normal, sorry I don't have experience on this motor.

My 4A30 runs at the halfway point and increases higher when running it hard.

>>> Hows the coolant look? Radiator and overflow full and clean ?

2 - I don't know where the alarm is either, try not to go deaf and just track it down while in reverse. Under the dash somewhere. I will check in my 95 Bravo later today.

3 - Like all engines, keeping them cool and lubed will allow them to keep going. Check coolant condition. Check accessory belt condition. Check engine oil and transmission fluid. Mine has a dipstick for trans fluid but I think the older ones have a fill hole like a differential. If you have the means to crack open the front/rear diff + transfer case to make sure the gear oil is topped off.

Are you in a very rural area? Maybe some sort of oil change place can just go through and check all your fluids?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2023
  5. Bowe

Bowe Member

Mine runs pretty close to the line after the c. I put a 82° thermostat in but I see 88° for cold climates I wouldn’t mind a little more heat.

6. MikeD

MikeD Member

You're about to make, quite possibly , the most epic drive ever in a 660cc vehicle. How long you think it'll take ?

7. JakobDK

JakobDK New Member

Pretty close to the lower line you mean? Yeah I wouldn't mind some more heat as well. Especially going into winter here.

8. JakobDK

JakobDK New Member

I'm in the capital so I have access to workshops. The engine oil and filter was changed, along with the airfilter. Maybe I should have gearoil and diff oil changes as well.
    The car is howling a bit in 5th gear from 70-90km/h but I assume thats just how it should be.

I did drive the car for a bit and the temp guage work. Driving around town is getting the needle up, a bit below middle and driving 50km/h + is making the needle settling just above the lower line.

I', planning to be home in Denmark for Christmas, starting from next week - I travel quite slowly and have new places to see and old friends to visit. Thanks for your enthusiasm

9. MikeD

MikeD Member

Good luck on your trip, post some picture updates when you have some time and report back if you have any issues.

10. MikeD

MikeD Member

How goes the longest road trip to ever be done in a Kei car?

11. JakobDK

JakobDK New Member

Good - you wrote just as I arrived home yesterday. It has been a really nice trip despite many complications on bordercrossings. But the car has been fun to drive and done really well and everybody in the different countires loved it! Very happy with this car. Would happily post some pictures, but can't seem to upload them.

12. MikeD

MikeD Member

Awesome, glad it got you home.

I can't seem to figure out the proper way to upload pics either. I post from a computer and click , " more options " Then from there I take a screenshot of just the image( windows+shift+S ) or copy and past the image and it seems to work on the more options screen.