1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mini Trucks in Utah

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by getwilde, Jun 2, 2007.

1. getwilde

getwilde Guest

I'm interested in buying a mini truck. I've found exporters in Japan that can ship a container of 6-8 trucks for really good prices. I don't want to become a dealer or anything, but I'm wondering if there are others in Utah who might consider going in on this together and getting a shipment sent here. We'd have to figure out the logistics, but anyone interested? Just mulling the idea.

Thanks,
    getwilde

2. abcminitrucks

abcminitrucks Member

Becareful, Getting the proper customs permits can be tricky. If you don't do it right you won't know till the a customs agent knocks on your door and demands that you return the trucks to Japan or face a hefty fine. They will let it thru the port on the original delivery, but many times the proper paperwork has not been filed and they will demand the trucks be returned to Japan...not matter who owns them, it is the importers responsibility to recover the trucks at what ever cost is necessary and ship them out of the US...can be very costly...

Many of these so called exporters in Japan are out to make a quick buck and know that you will hold the burden in the US if things are not right....for example, all the dirt and debris must be washed off the trucks before they are put in the containers in Japan. If they arrive in the US and they customs inspector finds them dirty, they will reject them....or they will force the importer to unpack the container and wash them and them re-pack it. This will cost you....not the exporter in Japan....and cost $1000-$1500 to have it done...I know, I have been there....

So just be careful, it not as easy or as cheap as they want you to believe.

3. getwilde

getwilde Guest

Thanks

After posting, I did some more reading about how it can be difficult to get them through customs, about additional fees that must be paid, etc.

I hadn't heard about some of the issues you mentioned, though, so thank you.

I was hoping to cut out some of the middlemen and save some money. But, the learning curve might be too high for me to try to do it on my own. Is there anyone else in Utah (or nearby) that has experience in importing these vehicles, but isn't looking to make a profit on the venture?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2007
  4. abcminitrucks

abcminitrucks Member

Contrary to popular belief, there is not a huge profit in selling these trucks. After you figure in the cost of the trucks, freight from Japan, US Customs fees and bonds, insurance, advertising, and other misc expenses.....there not much profit, if I am going to stay competitive in the market.

You can find them cheaper but beware, many of these trucks are in the US illegally and are subject to deportation at any tine.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2007
  5. JRinTX

JRinTX Moderator

That's the truth! I think that this whole venture that I got myself into is just for fun....not profit! Everyone seems to think there is a huge profit in these trucks...but, the truth is I think I'm spending more than I'm making....and if you don't believe me, ask my wife...she's an accountant turned math teacher...(really good with numbers!). :)

6. abcminitrucks

abcminitrucks Member

Yep, I was the 1st dealer in my area, and now I am seeing these trucks all around. I called a couple of them, and I can tell they have no idea what they are doing and are not legally importing them. They are not bonded nor do they have the proper Customs paperwork. They are charging less for these trucks then I have invested mine.....so my sales have dropped off. The public doesn't care, they just want the cheapest price...no matter if the truck is legal or not.

I'll tell you another thing that is going to kill us legatimate dealers. Making these trucks street legal. Sure we sell them as off-road only, but then the customer goes out and bypasses the speed restrictor and finds a way to get a tag for it. (don't know how when these things don't have a US standard VIN). But then they drive it on the road. Sooner or later someone is going to get hurt/killed in one of the trucks on the road, and US Customs is going to put a halt to them, and stop allowing them into the US. And as soon as you bypass the speed restrictor, you violate EPA regulations. With all the GREEN people out there, this would be a great topic for them to jump on and get us shut down......

My perspective is...this business is short lived....so make the most of it while you can.

IMHO.

7. Cape Ape

Cape Ape Member

I can get you set up through our Idaho dealer. Send me an e-mail for more info. All legal, etc. We are supported by the largest import brokerage in the US.

Kurt

8. Youngauto

Youngauto Member

Utah Mini trucks

I think the main thing you should do is search for quality trucks in the first place.
    Don`t buy the cheapest around as they will not be in as good as condition that a slightly higher priced unit.
    The problems and extra costs that you may have to pay once they arrive in the US is not worth the hassle and extra costs.
    Also, be aware of the import terms and make sure they are clean before they enter the container in Japan and are speed limited.
    I live in Japan and go to auctions myself and know on the ground whats on offer here and for what price.
    I see many good trucks and many bad trucks.
    There are no cheap trucks that are worth exporting.
    Don`t go for ones offering the cheapest price because they have been bought at an even lower price for a reason.
    You are still getting a very good deal compared with other ATVs on the market and the extra $100 or $200 dollars spent comes back in folds with satisfaction and less problems.
    I think if you can get 6 interested people together to buy a container, look into it carefully and enjoy the fruits of your labour.
    There are still great trucks in Japan that are clean with low mileage to be found.
    Good luck, I hope you find some quality units.

9. abcminitrucks

abcminitrucks Member

Nice post....in short....you get what you pay for.