1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Manual choke

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by artangel, May 25, 2020.

1. artangel

artangel New Member

Hey guys...has anyone here installed a manual choke on there truck? Just want to get an idea on how they do it...thanks...

2. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

art,
    Yeah, there's been a few! Personally, I think it's common sense! Take a look at your situation. Mine being, left hand drive, and right hand on key, when starting, I wanted my free hand (left), on the choke, so I determined that I wanted my choke knob on my left, hence, down below, and behind my left knee! It works for me! Once you've determined these two points, the other being the choke on the carb., measure your route, in your plan of attack, and install! For me and my unit a standard 6 ft. choke cable worked! Make sure you plan on securing the cable to limit any unnecessary movement in the cable that is not needed! Think it out and make a plan! There are several other post's on the forum regarding installing a choke cable! Good Luck!
    Limestone

3. artangel

artangel New Member

Thanks man...can you send me the link of the thread about manual choke...

4. artangel

artangel New Member

I already bought a bicycle brake cable but my problem is i didn't find any choke pull knob mechanism here in our place...all they have is engine pull knob assembly but the cable is too thick...anyway thank you for the suggestion Limestone...

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  5. Limestone

art,
    Dorman makes a standard 6 ft. long cable that works in most applications, available at most, auto parts stores, or online, if you choose! If not you can get any length cable that your heart desires! Take a look at the choke mechanism on your carb. and consider the path that your cable needs to provide, so it doesn't restrict your movement! This is very important! Again, just plan your moves. Think it out. Usually, more than one way will work, just pick the least evasive in your situation!
    Limestone

6. Bryan Burns

Bryan Burns New Member

So you are saying you can turn your water choke to a cable choke on any carb?

7. Limestone

NOPE! Can't see where I said that! Some have replaced their original carb., that has coolant running through it. With an aftermarket carb. that requires a manual choke, and does not have provisions on the carb. to run the existing coolant lines, from the original carb. The coolant hose just gets re routed back to the other port on the head to keep the coolant circulating, and not passing through the carb.! I know, it sounds confusing if your not familiar with the set up.
    Limestone

8. Bryan Burns

Bryan Burns New Member

9. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

Don't know if these kits are sill available or not but years ago most FLAPS sold a kit which included a choke cable along with multiple little tid-bits & pieces so one could replace the exhaust heated choke spring setup with. Probably won't get much help from any of the big box parts houses but if you can find some independent store, you might get some results. Haven't seen or had the need for this item since the mid 70s is why I say don't know if still available.

Fred

FLAPS - Friendly Local Auto Parts Store

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020