1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lost all power... main fuse?

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by SDK1968, Jun 4, 2019.

1. SDK1968

SDK1968 Active Member

so i had an arc off when putting my winch on... now i got no power to ANYTHING.

i keep reading about a main fuse & a link.. but cant tell if thats the cylinder looking fuse coming off the battery or not.

what am i looking for?

95 carry 4 spd.

2. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Sorry I can’t offer specifics. But, there is typically some form of fuse, or fusible link close to the battery on the positive lead. Typically there will be two positive leads. One will be a heavier wire and run to the starter, and the other will be a ten or twelve gauge wire which leads to the fuse block. The smaller lead will have the fuse in it.

If you have a meter checker for either voltage to ground, or resistance in the wire and start at the battery and head towards the fuse block.

3. SDK1968

SDK1968 Active Member

ahhhhh... so they are just fusable links on both of those..

know where both of those wires are as i put new batt terminals on it, but didnt find an actual fuse ... will test it out & if thats where the problem is will put regular fuses in those 2 lines there so its easy to change if it ever happens again.

thank you very much & will report back on whether that fixes it or if theres still a problem.

4. Jigs-n-fixtures

There are fuse blocks from Blue Water Marine which attach at the battery. One version will hold two fuses. One to the fuse black and one for the starter feed.

I’m looking at doing one of them when I upgrade my alternator.

5. SDK1968

SDK1968 Active Member

well had some success & then none.

the 2 wires with the plugs from the positive cable both checked out good.. no other fuses in sight.

ground cable looked pretty crappy, so i put a new ground cable from teh battery over to the connection at the bed(it then goes down to the tranny)

hooked up the battery & had SOME power. fuel pump clicked in, lights worked.... dash came on, key switch beeped., horn worked, battery was up & strong.

but NOTHING happened when you turn the key. tried a few times same result.

all of the sudden everything went black & ZERO power again. checked the connections & tested teh battery again to make sure nothing was fried.

cant find anything wrong & got fairly frustrated, so it was time to walk away for a bit.

any idea's where to go or what to check next?

6. Jigs-n-fixtures

I’d start at a known good point and work on from there. Optionally, You could start at the fuse block, and work back towards the battery.

Unfortunately, I don’t know of an easy way to do it.

7. SDK1968

SDK1968 Active Member

went back out last nite after cooling off..

used my test light. cable from battery to starter has power at the contact point there... IF i use the battery ground. if i use the body as a ground? no light.

i took the ground off & cleaned it again & put ti back on. same results.

that says ive got a bad ground or a dead short. or am i misreading this?

8. Jigs-n-fixtures

I’d try running new flexible flat ground cable and see what happens.

9. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

Did you check both ends of your ground. Rust & corrosion can build up and prevent current flow.

Fred

10. SDK1968

SDK1968 Active Member

Just got in.

Finally got it all figured out.

New positive cable, new negative to body & to tyranny & then replaced the 30amp & heavy wires.

Bingo! All good.

Thanx for everybody's input!

fmartin_gila likes this.
  11. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

I worked as a Fleet Mechanic for many years and found that bad grounds and a bit of corrosion& rust can cause quite a few weird electrical problems. I got to the point that I installed a ground wire/cable between engine block and body/frame of every vehicle and piece of equipment as most was always used in very harsh conditions/environments. Cut down my electrical problem complaints by about half.

Fred

Limestone likes this.
  12. SDK1968

SDK1968 Active Member

Few days later & going well.

Now if I could get all that low by fixed it would b perfect.

13. Ilikes MySusuki

Ilikes MySusuki New Member

Similar problem, with my 1991 Carry. The fused link attached to the positive terminal being fried when I incorrectly attached pos to neg terminals after charging the battery (brown ground cable looked reddish and ...). Replaced the usable link with a 10amp fused wire. First turn of ignition, brief sound of electric fuel pump and then ignition dead again. Have cleaned terminals and ground point and still dead on key turn. Any suggestions where to go next?