1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lose Power going Up Hill

Discussion in 'Honda Acty' started by SeattleActyVan, Dec 29, 2017.

1. SeattleActyVan

SeattleActyVan New Member

Hey everyone,

I have a 1991 Honda Acty Van with AWD and a little over 150k km. I've had the van since June and have been driving it a lot over the last 6 months. One thing I've noticed, though, is when I'm going up hill no matter what gear I'm in the RPMs drop and it's hard to maintain, let alone gain speed up hill.

With only 660 cc and probably 25 horse power left in the 27 year old engine I'm not expecting it to take off like a rocket and I have been able to get over mountain passes slowly when camping and take it some relatively steep hills when I drive it to work a few days a week (living in Seattle), but I wanted to see if there was something I should check/could work on to try to improve this other than downshifting and using momentum. Could it be the carburetor needs to be adjusted/rebuilt? Or is this just normal and one of the fun "quirks" of driving an old Japanese microvan.

Any ideas of things I could look into? I plan to take it on more camping adventures this summer and might even take it down the Oregon coast so anything I can do this summer to improve running conditions would make for some fun winter projects.

Thanks everyone,

-Matt.

2. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

I understand there is a turbo version out there although I have never seen one. There is not a lot of power in 660 cc's which is a tad over 40 CID. Kinda reminds me of driving my 1956 VW (25 HP) back in 1966 on the Los Angeles freeways when I introduced myself to Air Cooled VWs.

Fred

3. shogun

shogun Active Member

The all wheel drive of course also takes it's toll. My HA3 with automatic transmission has no problems to go uphill.
    I once had the problem, then 1 of the solenoids for air regulation in the carburator was stuck, so the fuel air ratio was wrong and when I pushed down the gas pedal black smoke of unburned fuel came out of the exhaust. Also when I pushed the gas pedal to WOT, the speed went down because of too much fuel and not enough air.
    I have posted some pics of the 2 solenoids in some threads, but not sure of the same is also installed on your model year , for example here a link https://minitrucktalk.com/threads/89-acty-carb-problem.15620/
    https://minitrucktalk.com/threads/installing-new-carb.16144/