1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for Sambar "VW Combi"

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by Badger, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Badger

Badger Guest

Hi,I'm Chris from rockmart georgia,I don't have a mini-truck yet,but I do have a VW Bug convertible.I want a sambar with the VW kombi conversion and was wondering 2 things:
    1.Is there a dealer in rockmart or cedartown?
    2.how much would it cost to buy a sambar kombi?

2. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Hi, Chris. Welcome. Hope you don't mind I moved this to the WANTED section for more views.Some of those conversion vans do pop up now and then but not very often. You may want to email some of the site sponsors for more info. :)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  3. Two Showers

Two Showers New Member

Hi Chris, sorry I can't be of any help. I'm over in England but I thought you might like to see my pride and joy. I took delivery of her about a month or so ago.

[​IMG]

4. Two Showers

Two Showers New Member

With the Teardrop Sleeper on the back and ready for off.

[​IMG]

5. Badger

Badger Guest

:eek: Awesome van!!if anyone can find one I'll try to get my dad to buy it for me for christmas or my birthday.(He promised me a car before I turn 16 and the beetle doesn't run)and if not I'll start saving for one.
    Also,I want to add a question to the list in my 1'st post
    3.Are these trucks street legal?

6. Two Showers

Two Showers New Member

Badger

they are legal in England. I don't know where you are or what laws are current for you.
    This is a 660cc Supercharged, 4 wheel drive, air con, power steering.
    Inside the back it goes COMPLETELY flat and it is big enough to sleep in without the mini caravan.
    We get away most weekends and if we don't want to take the mini caravan, we sleep in the back. That's 2 adults and 1 BIG German Shepherd.

Glad you like it. Just do a web search for Samber, Samba or Sumber (depends on where you are as to how they are referred to).

7. Badger

Badger Guest

Thanks!I've been searching everywhere but I still haven't found anything on their legality:( if they're not legal maybe I can just drive to work off-road:D

8. Two Showers

Two Showers New Member

That's fine Badger. If like me you've trawled the internet trying to find out about these, you may have come across a site I've since lost details of. It's a Japanese site and they have pictures of a couple of these fully fitted out as Camper Vans. I can't find the link i had, so if you (or anyone else) comes across it, could you email me the link or drop it on here. I remember seeing a bright yellow and cream one with folding roof, kitchen etc etc and I just can't find it anymore.
    Still trying to find it.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
  9. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Badger, these fit in the same category as the rest of the Kei trucks. If you are in Canada, you can "legalize" vehicles 15 years or older. In the US, the rule is 25 years. So most of the Kei trucks and vans can NOT be legalized in MOST states. Search some more in the Reference and Lounge Forums for discussions on legalizing mini trucks in the area where you are.

Two Showers, thanks for posting your awesome van! :D

10. Badger

Badger Guest

Aww crap...I wish the US government would stop being so strict about cars...
    When you think about it though couldn't they be registered as motorcycles like the Isetta was back in the day?
    Or what about an '85 sambar?Are those Combi-able?
    Thanks for the info:D

11. Two Showers

Two Showers New Member

Move to England !!!!!!!!

Actually don't, it's crap. We'll all move out there with you lot.

12. Colin

Colin Member

Sweet combi! :eek:

13. Two Showers

Two Showers New Member

Colin, you do realise that if you can source one of the fibreglass fronts and fibregalss skirts that they fit to mine, you can make your 1990 Samber into a VW Lookalike pickup !!!!!!!!

14. Colin

Colin Member

Yeah, I'm aware of that. I was thinking about sourcing the panels, but the VW front end really only looks great when it's almost dragging the pavement. My primary purpose for buying the Sambar was affordable winter transportation, so scraping bumpers was out of the question. :D

Colin

15. Badger

Badger Guest

I would love a sambar pickup Kombi(Especially in classic off-white over bright red)!:D
    I've been considering a Honda Beat kei sports-car,any knowledge on their legality?
    Maybe we can have a full out ambush on the local Driver's service offices(DMV's):p

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2008