1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for guidance

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Karla, May 14, 2020.

1. Karla

Karla New Member

Hello!
    I deliver mail and have fallen in love with these mini vans and flatbed trucks.
    I'm trying to understand the
    Liscensing in my state process.
    With the VIN # provided, which is not 16 digits....the insurance company is saying it cant be insured?

2. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

In Idaho the vans are easier to license. There is a statute which expressly prohibits licensing and titling the japanese mini trucks, a holdover from the days when they were importing the left hand drive, minitrucks with the speed governed to 25-mph, to avoid the EPA and DOT environmental, and safety standards.

The laws and the reasoning behind those laws made sense at that time for those vehicles. But now that we are importing 25-year old vehicles, designed and manufactured for on-road use, which are exempt from the federal, emissions and safety standards, they should be licensable as collector vehicles.

3. Ohkei Dohkei

Ohkei Dohkei Active Member

I've heard people that just add zeros in front of the vin to make it fit the computer system. I can't say it's legal, but I've read about several tag offices doing that to make it work.