1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking at a mini truck need advice

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by Wendal, Dec 31, 2022.

1. Wendal

Wendal New Member

I am looking at a 1992 Daihatsu mini truck. It's on a auction kinda close.
    Here's a link to the truck I was thinking about
    https://www.purplewave.com/auction/...V_and_Utility_Vehicles-Utility_Vehicle-Kansas

Here's a link to the one I should buy
    https://www.purplewave.com/auction/...V_and_Utility_Vehicles-Utility_Vehicle-Kansas

So on the first one.
    Are the windshields flat? If so my local shop can cut me one.
    Where do you get your parts for these?
    This truck will need a headlight and window cranks.

Is their any parts or complications with the left side drive trucks?

I am looking at one of these to do work on the farm.
    I was looking at the first one because I think it will be cheaper to buy. But needs more work.
    It looks like they are both 4x4. Are they?
    Anyway what's your thoughts.
    thanks for your help
    wendal

2. HiJinks

HiJinks Member

Some advice:
    Windshields aren’t flat. However, I have seen some offered online for a few hundred. After having to source the headlight bezel and turn signal, I would say don’t plan on easily finding those for the beater.

Not all Hijets are 4x4, but the ones shown seem to be, as there appears to be a Hi Lo lever beside the E Brake lever.

The second truck is a Jumbo having a larger cab.

I ordered my ‘92 Hijet Climber from CarfromJapan.com and got it stateside for around 3000.00. I did drive to the Port of Savanah and picked it up myself on a Rented trailer.

So don’t dismiss importing yourself if you don’t mind waiting a few months.

Parts can be sourced online, and the left hand drive is not issue at all. I commute daily 26 miles round trip and love it.

3. jblueridge

jblueridge Member Supporting Member

Costs of buying and importing from Japan have gone up.
    Some companies like BeForward are asking $2,000 for the shipping alone.
    Are you near enough to see the trucks in person?

4. Wendal

Wendal New Member

No they are about 3 hours away. I have called them several times. No answer or return call back.
    I emailed today.
    We ll see.
    That might tell me what I need to know.
    Thanks again

5. Tripthyme

Tripthyme Active Member Supporting Member

Haha I have been watching these ones as well... I won't bid against you on this one if you leave me alone on the one thats 750 right now!

6. Tripthyme

Jauce.com I got what would cost 600 domestically bought for under 150 after paying them the item price and proxy fee. You can order parts from yahoo auctions Japan, Amazon Japan and something that starts with an R... but you send the money over to jauce via PayPal then order or bid on the items you want, they then figure in your price plus thier fee. You don't have to have the fee amount and shipping amount in your account until your ready for them to ship. Once they have the items in thier possession you can pay the fee and shipping, fill out your customs import codes and have the items a week later. I was kinda worried they were a scam when I ordered my stuff but it all came through flawlessly.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2023
  7. Wendal

Wendal New Member

The non running machine has a broken timing belt which may mean bent valves.

The unit with a broken windshield was hit in the front end but is drive able.

The unit that says plumbing on seems to be in good running order.

These are two wheel drive units with a high/low differential.

here’s an email I got from the sell. I had asked a few questions.
    I am not going to bid on them. I want a 4x4 .
    Probably don’t need 4x4. good luck on the one you’re looking at.
    I did not see one for $750.
    But good luck. I hope it works out for you.

8. Tripthyme

I guess it was 725 at that time and really just after parts for the right price. Thank you for the info you gathered!

9. Wendal

Wendal New Member

Are parts hard to find?
    Is there a brand you prefer? I’m

10. Tripthyme

I prefer my daihatsu hijet but thats because it was my first... I can find any part domestically but they are always expensive or I can proxy them out of China for 1/5th the price but its at least 2 weeks before I get them. I have noticed suzuki parts are cheaper for the most part. I'm not a seasoned vet tho. Only had my guy 3ish years. Give me 5 more and I can answer better haha