1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Location of Thermostat?

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by thefuzz783, Dec 22, 2008.

1. thefuzz783

thefuzz783 Member

This may be a dumb question, but wind chill is -35 outside and I don't want to be out there any longer than I have to. Anyone know where the thermostat is located on a 98 Sambar?

I would assume on the engine block somewhere, but like I said, frostbite will occur in less than 60 seconds so the faster, the better!!

Thanks.

2. Subaru

Subaru Member

On 91.5% of vehicles it is at the upper rad hose at engine.
    If your freezing just looking for it,how cold do you think you'll be after changing it:eek:
    HINT----drive to car wash,usually not busy at -30,and get er dun!!!!

3. Rural

Rural Member

I'm curious what you will do once you've found the thermostat.

Mark

4. thefuzz783

thefuzz783 Member

I'll change it, duh!!!

Just kidding, thanks for the replies. Even if it only saves me 2 minutes of looking, that's 2 less minutes of my fingers feeling like they are on fire!!

5. Rural

Rural Member

Of course. But isn't the thermostat's setting determined by the temperature that the engine can run at? Set it too low and the engine runs too cold. Too high and then engine runs hot. Not that I fully understand the issues, but to me, it just doesn't seem like something that should change from the recommended setting. I guess that if I wanted more heat in the cabin, I could let the engine run hotter, but it would seem like there were better ways of heating the cabin (ie. 12V heater).

But if you feel your thermostat isn't set properly in the first place... Well you'd be good to go then.

6. thefuzz783

thefuzz783 Member

Thermostat's don't work like that, you can't "set" them. They are preset to open and close at a certain temperature via wax that melts. My problem is that the thermostat is stuck in the open position which is allowing the coolant to circulate through the radiator even when it is below zero outside

That in turn does not allow the engine to get up to operating temperature, and since the heat is run off the coolant temp, I have no heat in the cab.

I've always found the website www.howstuffworks.com helpful.

7. Rural

Rural Member

I figured, but wasn't sure, that you couldn't just turn a screw to change the behaviour of the thermostat.

In case it isn't clear, I work under the assumption that there is no such thing as stupid questions and am glad I pressed for the whole story. It's only a matter of time before I run into that problem.

8. thefuzz783

thefuzz783 Member

I 100% agree!! I hope I didn't come across any differently by mentioning that website. I have learned a lot of stuff from there. There's is really no such thing as a stupid question on this site, sometimes these mini's can be pretty mysterious....

9. Rural

Rural Member

No worries. With text, I try to give people the benefit of the doubt. Besides, it's usually just easier to interpret things the nicest way possible. Life's too short for anything else.

And I do find myself on the HowStuffWorks website a lot more since I bought my little truck. Funny how that works.

Mark

10. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

there's no such thing as a stupid question... just a stupid answer... and i've gotten lots of those :D

11. Saskmini

Saskmini New Member

thefuzz. in my 91 it is located on the driver side under the carb. remove the plastic access piece behind the tire and it should be easy to get out. (if it's in the same place) I would find some place warm to do the work. If you have a replacement gasget and stat might not be to bad. Remember the hoses will be hard to work with when stiff.