1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lighting Idea

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by Limestone, Apr 25, 2020.

1. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

In my partial rebuild, as I set this unit up to my likes and so called needs. I plan on upgrading my lighting situation. Being that I don't plan on using my mini on the road, when I inherited mine, the left front marker, light lens was broke! The right front is intact, as I was able to remove it in one piece. At first I was thinking about, just putting a piece of light duty flexible rubber, around the light, to cover it. Using the mini off road on our hunting property in PA. we sometimes like to slowly drive to our hunting spots, using low light or no light's at all! Yrs. ago I widened all the trails to 10' wide, and trimmed all the brush back, so that the trails are easy to navigate in the dark, and kinda stealth like! So in my upgrading, I'm going to go with some LED lights. For several obvious reasons. I've already upgraded the alternator. The LED'S don't get hot, use less juice, better lighting! To me it's a no brainer! I plan on adding additional light's, as well as individual switching! So my question is; by removing the front marker lights,(unplugged), at the connection. Is there an LED light that I could substitute, to plug into, the front plug that the marker light plugs into? Adding additional front lighting, that would work off the original front light switch? In my mind I don't think that it would be a problem. I do however think that I would have to use the original plug, and make my own connections! I can't see spending a $100.00 bucks on marker light's that I don't need or will not use! I could sell the right light, and the left, internal, electrical lighting unit,(without lens), to someone who needed it! So, I guess I'm just thinking out loud, and was wondering what other's thought's were. Jig's I'm hoping you'll weigh in!
    Limestone

2. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

I upgraded all of my stock lights to LEDs, by just replacing the bulbs with LED versions. And you could replace the whole assemblies with LED assemblies, if you’re Ok with the fact they won’t follow the body lines cleanly.

The problems I had with wring up mine are:

The Manufacturers lie worse than politicians about how many Watts the bulbs are. Must be some equivalency to incandescent or halogen, or something, because once I found a clamp type DC ammeter, I found out that the amp draw for my light bar with everything on was only about a third of what the total amperage would be if all the lights really drew the number of Watts the manufacturer claims. I used the stock wires which are only 18 to 22-gauge, to control relays so I could upgrade fusing to what the manufacturers say the lights are, and upgrading wiring to the Amps the lights would draw if their Watt ratings were real. Lesson learned, buy the digital ammeter, and test all the lights to determine their Amp draw before you put them on the truck and run wires.

I have a very over designed light system, with more complication than was really needed, because I designed things with a 20% safety factor, based on the Amps the lights would pull, if they were really drawing the rated Watts.

The headlights are ground switched, and you will need to get one of the adapter harness/relay assemblies to switch them over to LED units. The good news is there is plenty of room behind the front facia Between the headlights, to pull the wiring, across between the lights. I also ran the leads to the speakers I mounted in the doors through this area, and then into the front of the doors.

Second, since I was setting mine up for street use as a snow plow, I needed to have turn signals and flashers that work and are visible. Which sends the poor stock flasher into hyper drive, flashing so fast that it is almost a buzzer. The solution I found for that was an adjustable flasher unit, which I wired into the location of the stock flasher in teh fuse panel, and running jumpers to where I mounted it through the dash. This let me conveniently adjust the flash rate to something close to stock.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
  3. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

Thanks Jig's! That's the info, I was looking for! I knew that I could count on you once again! I guess that's just the way of the world today, "TO LIE LIKE A POLITICIAN"!!!
    Limestone