1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lift kit

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by Dmorency, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Dmorency

Dmorency New Member

Hi everyone, just found this forum while searching for answers to my problem, will come back here again often.
    I bought a hijet from a friend who had a 3 inch lift kit installed because he wanted to install tracks. ( I want to install tracks also) My problem is the front wheels are tilted inward on the bottom and my cv joint on the passenger side binds and makes noise when turning.
    Should I lower my lift, because I feel my tracks will be tilted inward also? Thanks in advance.

2. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

My 2 cents. Lift on a Daihatsu should be no taller than 1 3/4" using 23x8x12 tires.
    Suzuki you can go up to 2" and use 24x812 tires. If you stay with this cv's will last longer. Any higher premature wear on cv joints. There is plenty of info. on using just Afco springs to do the lift. Some where around 225/250 lbs springs 10" long seem to be working for several of the guys so far. Use the search function and type in "Afco springs".

3. Dmorency

Dmorency New Member

Will I removed the 3 inch lifts from the front and cut it down to 1 1/2, re welded the brackets and reinstalled it. The difference is unbelievable and my wheels still fit and they are now straight.:pop::pop:

4. redgreen

redgreen Member

Hi, I wish I had found this site years ago before learning things the hard way.
    I have a 92 Hijet and have tracks installed. Firstly unless you have two heavy people in the cab a 3 inch lift causes binding on the cv joints. A 2 inch lift should be adequate. The tilt you have is from incorrect camber caused by a strut spacer that does not compensate. There will be some adjustment on the bottom of the strut but if it changed a lot from adding the lift you probably won't be able to make it up. The quality lift kits allow for the camber change. The next thing you have to check is the hub dimensions to fit. Your truck has a 4/110mm bolt pattern so you can retrofit tracks from a quad. The TJD or Camoplast are the cheapest way to go. They are only weight rated for 1500 lbs so if you plan to carry any heavy loads they might be too light so a UTV set would be better. However the studs on the truck are larger than atv studs. The center hub also requires a larger bore so the best way to solve this other than machining is to buy a set of aluminum wheel spacers. The 2 inch thick ones give you the added clearance between the inside track edge and brake lines also. The spacers also have large enough holes for the truck studs and have the smaller atv studs built in. You have to make your own limit rod mounts and make sure they are of heavy enough material that won't twist. The best option if you have the budget is the Mattracks which have a 3500 lb model and will make the mounts for you. I think they run in the $6000 range. The clearance is also very limited on the front so you will want to grind the edge of the lip where it might contact the track. Also keep limit rod system very tight to avoid the top of the track hitting. Hope this helps.

5. cajun666

cajun666 New Member

get some coil spring the well give u 2 or 3 inch more of lift

6. My 2 cents if you want to wreck your truck lift it.

I lifted mine 2 inches. I dropped the front differential 2 inches with 2 inch square tubing so it would not be so abusive on the CV joints. I also had to make a bracket for the steering that was dropped 2 inches out of 1/4 inch thick angle bracket

I had a hell of a driveline noise I could not figure out after I replaced all the u-joints it was still there.

I dropped the back of the transmission 1/2 inch with 2x 1/4 inch steel plates on both sides that fixed it.

Big difference if you are going to drive it offroad fine at slow speeds.

But a truck that is going to do alot of its time on road. You have to ask yourself, self do I hate myself that much? Hopefully everything works good from here on.

7. huntidaho

huntidaho Member

This might help. I have tracks on my 93 carry and I built a bracket for the inner control arm to lower the bracket and it worked perfect. If you need some pics I could try and take some to send you for some Ideas.

8. Dmorency

Dmorency New Member

I would like to see photos of this because I am planing on getting tracks too.

9. huntidaho

huntidaho Member

I got the pic for ya its the bracket itself and if you have any other questions or how I did it just let me know.. Its perfect with my tracks or Tires. Its a lift with all factory angles. I should of made several of these when I did it and sold them as a true lift kit for a Kei Pickup.. You will need the crap Strut Spacers aswell. The overall lift was 2 3/4inches. Even made a knoch so no damage to the diff.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2009
  10. Dmorency

Dmorency New Member

Could you give me a photo of the front showing the installation and the tracks? Thanks

11. huntidaho

huntidaho Member

Here is a Pic of the front. I can get you one of the braket installed when I get a min. The tracks work perfect and the angle is 90 degrees to the ground and it was pretty simple to do. If you have a welder.[​IMG]

12. huntidaho

huntidaho Member

I will send ya a pic of the custom bumpers I made soon as I get them back from powder coating.