1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lift kit question..

Discussion in 'References' started by topherztoyz, Mar 13, 2008.

1. topherztoyz

topherztoyz Member

Got the 3" lift, and went on smoothly, Wheels and 23" tires comming on Fri.
    Question.. Now that lift is on... I hear a whining noise while shifting to 5th gear when clutch is depressed, and when in 5th gear when I let off the throttle a bit..( useally aprox 50KPH +) (noise was not present before the lift, and had up to 100KPH before) Sounds like coming from the trans, or transfer case area.. Do you think the 3" was too much for the rear lift? Should I try and drop a inch in the rear? I'm Happy with your product.. just looking for your opinion. Front end seems to have no problems....
    2001 Daihatsu Hi Jet, 4x4
    Thanks.. Chris..

2. DRW

DRW Member

I would jack up the rear and put the truck on jackstands and see if you can duplicate the noise,if so you can play with it and hopefully find your gremlin,it may not work as the drivetrain will not be loaded.Return the rear of your truck to stock dimensions if this fails and see if your noise goes away,There may have already been a problem brewing and the driveline angle change has aggravated it,I have never heard a u-joint whine.

3. topherztoyz

topherztoyz Member

Thanks for the sugestions.. Tried that and seemed normal.. Ended up getting new shackles for the rear with 1" less lift.. Test rode.. and noise seemed to go away.. My friend a auto machanic.. came and looked at it, and said the angle was prob too much on the rear drive shaft.. (shaft is only about a foot or so long).. Well hopefully I'm set.

4. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

lift kit sugestion

After lifting around 25 trucks I have found 2" lift=23" tires. 3" lift=24" tires. If you go with 3" lift and 23" tires your passenger side cv drive line is to much of a angle. You have to take in account of truck going up and down. You will be getting to close at extention of toping out shock which will enable cv drive line to touch the bottom inside cv housing, which will wear little by little. It will take some time to wear but after awhile you will have to replace inside cv assy. On the other hand if you stay on smooth roads and dont flex the shocks to max. you should be ok. My suggestion is if you are using 3" lift and 23" tires cut the lift 1/2" to 1" down, or go to 24" tires.. Been there and done that. You wont miss the 1/2" or 1". Terry

5. topherztoyz

topherztoyz Member

I am going to install a 2' lift, and keep the 3" for later use, or sell it later. Thanks for your inputs.
    Chris

6. Yeah, we stay way from 3" lifts as well, 2"-2 1/4 work best

7. topherztoyz

topherztoyz Member

Yes.. I just do not want to take chance on stressing anything.. Have had the #' on for a wek.. just driving on surface streets here in Phx. so far. I ordered a 2" lift today, and hopefully my wheels and tires will be here in a week or two.
    I recieved my wheels and tires, and went to put on.. and ordered wrong bolt pattern.. Sent back for exchange... I got 4x110mm.. and Daihatsu went to 4x100mm late 90's I think.. mines a 2001. its 4x100mm
    Thanks..