1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leon here, Hijet camper

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by TheWeathAroundUs, Oct 17, 2020.

1. TheWeathAroundUs

TheWeathAroundUs New Member

Hey everyone! I recently got my first mini truck and it has been the best toy yet. I ended up nearly dailying the thing it runs like a top after a little tinkering. I run a youtube channel, I'm one of the older tubers at Thewealtharoundus, user LeonRFpoa. Been at it since 09, seen some really cool things but none as cool as my hijet. These things are popping up all over, this cool cat motocheez is the guy who inspired me to buy mine and suddenly ANOTHER tuber in NY bought one. So we're all three east coast s83p owners.

minicamper (2).jpg

Mine, I turned into a glamper. Rv situation, all the utilities. It's a 4 bed one full bath with electric, solar, heat a/c and wifi. Has a banging head unit by pioneer meant for a pontoon boat which gives it a heads up display and speedo app, plays my phone music or spotify or whatever. Has a roaming wifi hotspot through my samsung phone, a laptop that links to the phone for the guest tent, a micro portable hdtv, two range mini propane range, nesting cookset, double bed, cot tent, swamp cooler, 200w heater, ice machine, hot rechargeable shower and sink, toilet and all the stops. It's basically a tent hotel on wheels.

The sink and bathroom are hilarious, it looks like a white porcelain bathroom sink you step on the bulb pump evenly and it has running water. I'm going to be going next week for two days to fort yargo state park to give it a real good testing and work out any kinks like if it gets a little cold at night or if I run into something I didn't anticipate.

I don't I missed much. It can hold 20 gallons of water, has an 800w gas generator and a 75w solar gen, tank for the fuel holds about 48 hours of gas. Sure you can use the campsite power and water but I like flexibility. Motocheez asked me "awesome but how you gonna fit all that on a mini truck?" (he's a big camper outdoors guy too) and I was like yo- great question. Everything is micro compact or collapsible. The swamp cooler itself is only the size of a quarter loaf of bread but it works like shockingly good in that tent cot. You get cold and turn it off. I can get a parts list for anyone interested in one, the overall cost is around 400 bucks and everything can be bought on amazon.

I tell you, the first time I saw a kei truck in person, I was put under the spell BIGTIME. I remember smiling and saying "holy **** it's even smaller than I thought it was. Then I made the mistake of sitting in it. Dear god. I had to have one. But it has been everything I thought and much more.

Funny story I bought it from a sawed off little bull of a repo man who bought it off an importer. He was like 5'4 and could have just ripped me apart I could sense it. Just the way he carried himself, that tough guy act wasn't an act. BUT he thanked me dead honest for giving him 6 grand for it when he came down 200 but like I told him that stereo and bedline was WELL worth it they did terrific work on the thing. He mentioned it too, when he bought it they went over it with a fine comb and he was like this thing is in way better shape than it should be.

Another fun thing is through google translate I emailed the dealership it was purchased from and told them my story, apparently when I had the seat redone there was a japanese lighter some papers and some bolts under it. That paper had the former owners name on it- Kenichi Ik. They relayed to me his email after a phone call to him and he was delighted to see it again.

He told me he thought it was recycled. That's what happens, most times a dealer won't sell you a new one, you have to trade your old one in like an engine core and basically you add some money and get a new one for cheap. Kenichi said he kept it in his garage and only drove it around osaka prefecture as his tire transporter he worked for a yokohama tire store across the street from the dealership he bought it from. He's friends with the people at the dealership. He said he was quite depressed when it came time to trade it in but the van he bought he put his foot down with the wife and got a 4x4 one (haha go my dude) and just recently traded it in for a grey 2020 deck van. He said he would go to the mountains in it and fish, go camping and tailgating in it.

***here's one I didn't expect***

Kenichi tells me it was rear ended by a laid down sport bike. THAT'S where that back panel damage came from. He bent it back by hand. I need to get some rubber stops from the ends of pool cues to complete his repairs. I never even noticed but it is missing two. He sold it right after that. Apparently it passed an inspection by the vultures (j/k) at mitsu motors and they were like "yeah it's fine" and shipped it off to Savannah bound for Fulton county GA. Kenichi-san gets this call eight years later "hey kenichi-san some guy in the usa has your hijet!" he thought it was a joke but "check his youtube that's the same one it's all fixed up"

Great to meet y'all and a great big thanks for having us. Mighty Mouse and me will be a regular thing, for we are all one tribe ^_~

2. Ohkei Dohkei

Ohkei Dohkei Active Member

Wow, that's pretty cool that you were able to contact the original owner and learn the history of that thing.

3. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

Good stuff! Great info! Cool story, looks like your making the best of it and enjoying it!
    Limestone