1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[SOLVED] Leak where front driveshaft meets transfer case

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by MrJPolito, Aug 10, 2021.

1. MrJPolito

MrJPolito Active Member

I have a slow oil leak coming either from the bottom of the transfer case near where the front driveshaft enters it, or directly at the point of front driveshaft connection. This is a 1995 Hijet s110p 4wd with EF-ES engine and automatic transmission. Photos attached.

Does anyone have any information on what part or issue could be the culprit and what exactly needs to be replaced? I'm not actually sure if there is an oil seal between the driveshaft and the transfer case, or if it's literally just the transfer case that needs new gasket material.

Also any idea on what replacement parts I'd need and where to find them would be awesome.

Thanks guys

IMG_20210810_220829_818.jpg IMG_20210810_220857_115.jpg IMG_20210810_220901_130.jpg

Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
  2. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

I would expect to find an oil seal. Only way you will know for sure is to pull the drive shaft and have a look.

3. MrJPolito

MrJPolito Active Member

Are oil seals generally interchangeable or is this something super specific to the hijet that would need to be special ordered from somewhere? Thanks again

4. Jigs-n-fixtures

Some of the stuff on the Hijets is very specific. You need to get the bearing/race/seal in your hand and look to see what numbers are stamped on it. A lot of the bearings and seals, are universal, but you need a manufacturer, and number to cross reference from. If your knowledgeable, you can measure things, and then come up with a standard part available through normal supply chains.

I have the advantage of having had to reverse engineer, the engine, transmission, and drive train for 1932 Peugeot. I was in an advance drafting class, and the guy who owned the Peugeot, was the head of the Machine shop and drafting programs at the Community college, the drafting students reverse engineered the componenets, the guys in the machinist program made the parts, and the folks in auto shop, had to put it all together. I still have the tools, and instruments, and can usually figure out work around for most things.

Limestone likes this.
  5. MrJPolito

MrJPolito Active Member

Alright, all fixed up now. Here's how it looked when I removed the drive shaft:

received_1163925180683113.jpeg IMG_20211115_010831_700.jpg

Oil seal is chewed up. Definitely bad.

Found one at O'Reilly (link here). It's not nearly as thick (but it worked great).

National Multi-Purpose Seal
    Part # 223018 Line: NAT

I used two sharp curved metal picks to pull the old seal out because an oil seal removal tool would have been too big to take it out. Harbor Freight sells the picks here: (link)

Here is the cleaned up hole where the oil seal needs to be installed:
    received_589758875574995~2.jpeg

I pointed out what might be some damage to the metal where it seals. Be careful with the picks. I don't know if I did this or if it was already like that.

I used a rubber mallet and a piece of hollow PVC pipe (with a hole big enough to fit the driveshaft cog) to evenly knock the seal into place. Finished image below:

received_593105928602236.jpeg

When you reinstall the driveshaft, torque the four bolts to 4.6 kg×m (or 45 N×m).

Then I refilled the transfer case with 75w90 gear oil. Photo of drain/fill plugs below:

IMG_20211115_010835_228~2.jpg

I just filled it until oil started overflowing from the fill port. Took about 1.5 L.

No leaking whatsoever from the driveshaft now. Works great.

Relevant service manual page below (although this isn't showing the transfer case):
    Screenshot_20211115-013357~2.png

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
    shogun likes this.
  6. SAITCHO

SAITCHO Active Member

Good job and thanks for posting all those pictures!!!

7. Jigs-n-fixtures

Thanks, for updating. It is nice to have a few more folks on the site who realize that there are parts options besides ordering things from Japan. A lot of folks haven’t wrenched on enough things to realize that much o what is on a vehicle can be replaced with universal parts, if you just know how to ask for them.

fmartin_gila likes this.