1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Instrument Panel - Gauges ? 93 Hi jet

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by DeMag, Sep 13, 2009.

1. DeMag

DeMag Member

I am new to the site and a new owner of a mini truck with a few questions if the members can help me.
    Can some one explain to me what the different symbols on the instrument panel mean on a 93 Daihatsu hijet 650 cc ?

Battery Light ...... ?? ...... 4 - Wheel Drive Light

Park Brake Light ...... Oil Light ...... High Beam Light

I have one light that keeps comming on and with the engine kicking down when the lights are turned on plus the wipers being real slugish and slow. I think my altenator is going out.
    If it is the altenator does anyone have a cross reference that i can maybe purchase through napa ?
    Where can i get a service manual and what is the average cost ?
    Thanks

2. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

if you need a new alt. I would suggest getting it rewound at any starter/alternator shop..cheaper,easier to find . My 1992 daihatsu rpms drop a bit with lights on too..just load on the alternator from added draw.
    $wd light means your in 4wd (orange button on your high/low selector)
    Battery light is just like any other vehicle as is the parking brake light and all the others ??? not sure I understand the question regarding the lights:confused:

3. DeMag

DeMag Member

Thanks for helping, I should have taken a picture but didn't think.
    My first post has the lights listed in order, the one i have with the question mark on I have no idea what it means and didn't know if it needed imediate attention.
    The light is red and the symbol beside the light looks like a muffler and it has about 4 heat arrows above it, I may have to get a picture.
    I realize like you said when the lights are on the idle may kick down but did not know if it was normal.

4. fupabox

Ahh I get ya!!! ok the 1 that looks like a muffler overheating is the temp. light. That means you are overheating so shut er down. Is your electric fan on the radiator coming on ?

5. DeMag

DeMag Member

Yes sir the fan comes on by itself, runs a little bit then goes off and the temperature gauge needle runs about 1/4 of the way up from the cold side. I've never noticed it ever running hot or even half way between "C" - "H"
    I installed new plugs, put some seafoam in the tank (it's good stuff and used it for couple years) this light comming on some times lit up weak then sometimes bright (fan can kick on and the light stays lit but goes off when it wants, same as comming on)
    It starts really well when cold with quick starts, stays at a higher idle till warmed up then kicks down to low idle. but when it has been running a while it is harder to start, you have to give it a little fuel and crank longer.
    I haven't had it a week yet, just trying to get some bugs out of it and i didn't know if the light on the dash was connected to the problem of being harder and not as quick to start after it warms up ?
    I'm a heavy equipment operator/crane operator by trade, different equipment has different symbols but this one had me stumped :confused:
    With dial up it's hard to read 10 pages of replys on a post but i'm trying to keep up and apreciate you willing to help along with any others. Any idea about the harder start after warming up ? I'm leaning toward firing than fuel because it seems to me it is flooding itself out, maybe getting to much fuel or coil ??
    Thanks

6. fupabox

Mine fires up immediately cold and sometimes needs a bit of cranking when warm but not often. Not sure if this is a problem or the nature of these little beasts. Maybe a minor loose vacuum hose or something I haven't found (god theres tons of those vacuum hoses)

7. starpuss

starpuss Member

That light is your exhaust temp over heat light. Lots of mini trucks do this. Most people say that you should not look at the light and keep driving it or take out the light.

8. DeMag

DeMag Member

Thanks for ya'lls input, I apreciate it.
    Till I get the feel for the normal running condition and natural sounds most of them make I will be suspicous. After all what is normal and what isn't ? when you don't know to begin with. ;)
    Thanks for the time to help a beginner in the mini truck world.

9. mokeone

mokeone New Member

Instrument Panel - Gauges? 93 Hi Jet

Is your engine equipped with electronic fuel injection? If it is that light may be the check engine light. The light looks like a rectangle with an added bit in lower rt(?) corner and a number of lines up from the top and down from the bottom, something like

_ I_ I_ I_
    l l_
    l_ _ _ ____l
    l l ll

I have the same problem on my '93 Daihatsu van, and am trying to find a fix.
    Does not seem to be a problem, engine runs fine - just a nuisance.
    Anyone have a manual for these vehicles or a source for a manual?

Re the hard starting when warm, how do you get it started? Keep cranking? Depress the gas/accelerator pedal? Any advice/hints would be welcome.
    Ray

10. MiniBrutes

MiniBrutes Member

Exhaust temp light. Its not relevant. Pull the bulb out.

Try holding the gas pedal.

11. mokeone

mokeone New Member

My error and thanks for the correction. Looked at the light again and yes it definitely looks like an exhaust component with heat waves rising. Old tired eyes.
    But being an inquisitive type, I would like to know more of the system. Is there a sensor or switch on the cat converter? Does it feed to a computer module and thence to the indicator light?
    Ray

12. MiniBrutes

MiniBrutes Member

Yes, there is a sensor in the exhaust. Looks kinda like an o2 sensor.

13. DeMag

DeMag Member

You might want to try one of the old tricks with oxygen sensors that will sometimes work.
    Pull the sensor out and take a wire brush to it cleaning it up sometimes helps the problem and I haven't had much problems with mine since I did it.