1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

instrument cluster MPH overlay options??

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by Alwardscustoms, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Alwardscustoms

Alwardscustoms New Member

I have a 92 LHD jumbo s81p hijet government issue with the ol blue 25 mph spedo ... well im getting tierd of it launching off the map after second gear now that ive gotten the little guy to stop governing out!!!! so im looking to see if any one knows if there are sticker overlays or new laminets that i can put in place of this mph speedo and adjust the needle so that i can get a better feel of the mph ??? MB white face style or??? thx:confused:

2. autopat

autopat New Member

I was thinking of a Dakota digital set up, for a Rhino or something similar.

3. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

The Dakota set up might be a little high looked into it for the big truck they wanted 1100 and the gauge cluster for three weeks to do it. But that was everything to digital. I left it stock. I did find a GPS speedo that is 2. 1/16 inch gauge I have one at home just have not got around to the install yet got it from gauge hut or something like that.

4. 12voltfun

12voltfun New Member

When i was in high school i would take apart speedo clusters for guys and take the face plate and scan it on the computer and change the color to white and print them out and reinstall it on top of the old faceplate , so to change the way the speedo looks wouldnt be much harder

95 S80 jumbo , lifan 4 cyl, 14"s

5. Alwardscustoms

Alwardscustoms New Member

That is exactly what I want to do . Get rid of the 25 mph and adjust the needle to run longer in the circle with mph up to mb 65

6. packrat

packrat Member

7. werase643

werase643 Member

how about a cheepo GPS.... and it is probably pretty accurate......

8. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Alward, pics help to understand what's going on, but I think that with a full sweep 25mph gauge, you're actually looking at an "increase" gear in the drive box, or the gauge itself. A custom gage just for the government issue? I think not. More likely it is a modification, an increase gear to gain full sweep, at the maximum limited speed. A little research will be needed on your part, but an additional mod, to reverse the original mod...No

You need to figure out what needs to be removed, in order to reduce the sweep, at speed. Then the label, or backing for the cluster is easy. It's all linear anyway.
    Like for guys putting on bigger tires...very easy to adjust the OEM speedo. As long as it is a mechanical needle. They are all mounted the same way, and adjusted at the factory for the application.
    Just ride with a GPS, to get the actual number. Then make the mechanical adjustment.
    Bigger tires?
    GPS reads 104kph, but speedo reads 100...
    Take the cover off and just "gently" rotate the needle to the max stop CW, then force the needle to turn 8mm CW, or what ever equals 4KPH PASSED the "max stop".
    The needle mount is tapered, and WILL slide past the restriction, while under force. TOO FAR? Rotate the needle from the min stop CCW PASSED the min restriction, by 2KPH, or what ever you were out.

Unfortunately, with the gear in place in your set-up, the sweep is restricted by limiting stops. Both up and down limits. If this were not the case, you could just make a label that rotated around three times...;)..done and done.
    However, this is not the case, and you've probly already fried the gauge mechanics by over driving it by X3 while it was sitting on the max stop...:confused: