1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing new radio in KS4

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Bobacuda, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Bobacuda

Bobacuda Member

The radio my ‘90 Sambar came mwith actually picked up one sports radio station...until I tried to tune in another station. So, I went online and found an inexpensive am/fm unit with all sorts of connectivity bells and whistles for less than $20, which fits the use and budget of the Sambar.

I also ordered a pair of Pyle 4x6 speakers that are supposed to fit a Justy. Despite extensive speaker frame modifications, they don’t fit without cutting the dash. Do’oh! Spent about $20 on something that now goes in a box, to be forgotten while I take the original speaker into an electronics store to find something closer in size.

About 8 hrs in to this 1 hr job. o_O

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  2. Ohkei Dohkei

Ohkei Dohkei Active Member

I bought some 4x6 for mine and it didn't look like they would fit either. But when I looked closer, I noticed the mounting plate was glued on and I was able to remove it, and drill two small holes in the plastic for screws and they fit great. The old radio has 4 screws holding it in. 2 you can see and two you can't see unless you look really far back in there. Good luck. I spent two hours installing a headlight relay kit that was supposed to change the wiring to that like American cars. After all that work I have no headlights, so I feel your pain.

3. Bobacuda

Bobacuda Member

Finally got the new radio and speakers in. Had to buy Pioneer 4x6 speakers. The 4x6 PYLE speakers would not fit, even with lots of metal cut off the speaker’s mounting areas. The PYLE frame around cone is wider than the original speaker or the Pioneer speakers and would have required cutting the dash. With the Pioneer’s, I only had to drill new mounting holes.

This easy job has now consumed about 12 hrs of time. As for now, it’s just too damn hot to set stations or to try to learn the controls.

4. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

I have a set of Polk DXi461 speakers in my Sambar, and while they did need some slight modification to the metal in order to fit inside the recesses of the dash and to put the grill back on, they did not require modification of the truck at all.

I saw some Pioneers at Best Buy the other day that look like they would have fit straight in without modification, judging from the pictures on the box.. which ones did you get, and were they a drop-in fit?

5. Bobacuda

Bobacuda Member

I will be in the shed tomorrow and get the PYLE and Pioneer speaker numbers. Best Buy was selling out it’s 4x6 Pioneers, so list price $59, sale off price $38.

6. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

Yep, those are the ones.. I even thought about picking up a pair just to keep around since they were so cheap.

7. Bobacuda

Bobacuda Member

And the cheap radio I bought off Amazon was advertised as AM/FM. Lots of other advertised gizmos, but in my area, ability to tune in and save about 6 AM, 6 FM stations, as well as have it connect to my phone for a couple of distant stations is all I need.

False advertising. Got it in and then I discovered it does not have AM. It will search for FM stations, but I cannot “fine tune” it - for example, it will find 108.0 (nothing) and I cannot adjust it to 107.9 (a local station). ARGH.

I am going to email my frustrations to Amazon and ask for a radio like they advertised or my money back.

I really miss the old days when every WalMart and auto parts store had a wall of sound to chose from.

8. Ohkei Dohkei

Ohkei Dohkei Active Member

9. Bobacuda

Bobacuda Member

The speakers I ordered were supposed to fit a Justy - did not fit the Sambar. Had to take the old speaker to Best Buy and compare. Wound up with Pioneer TS-G460 G-Series. On sale for $38 and they fit. Next it was on to finding a radio.

Did a lot more searching and wound up with a Pyle Bluetooth Marine Receiver PLMRMR27BTB (Black) on Amazon for $40. It has AM/FM, Bluetooth and all sorts of bells and whistles, but more importantly, it fits and works as advertised!

Finally, some. sounds in my Sambar. The project required a stereo upgrade and a different set of speakers than originally purchased, so in all it has now cost me about $60 more than originally planned.

10. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

Hmm... I wonder if that sub would fit behind the drivers seat. I know that the Kenwood KSC-SW11 does, and leaves the small storage cubby free.

11. Reese Allen

Reese Allen Member

The installation of the double-DIN unit looks great. Do you have any pictures of that project?

12. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

It looks like they did not use a trim ring, so they have a gap around their radio as it is.. but the stock bracket has holes for double-DIN already. There is a double DIN trim ring that exists, but the one that I ordered on Amazon Japan does not seem to be made any longer..

13. Reese Allen

Reese Allen Member

Mine doesn't appear to be set up for double-DIN, but I can see how I might be able to cut away material to fit one in there.

https://imgur.com/a/M6K0Z0X

Ryan Ash likes this.
  14. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

That is the same as all of the rest. No trimming needs to happen, just the plastic ring around the radio needs to come off. The bracket that is hidden behind it is for double DIN. As for depth, yes.. the CD double DINs and most mech-less double DINs will be a very tight fit. I personally have the Sony AVX-AX5000 which has an extremely short depth and fits with PLENTY of room using the stock brackets. I may have some photos from my install... I will have to look around.

Ryan Ash likes this.
  15. Reese Allen

Reese Allen Member

How does the black piece around the stock head unit come off? There are no visible fasteners, and no amount of pushing/pulling/prodding will get it to budge.

edit: Never mind. If you pry the top back there are two tabs that can come loose, and then you just brute force it to get the rest off.

16. Maximal

Maximal Active Member

I got curious about a double DIN and swapped my single DIN fold-out screen for a $60 WalMart double DIN, just Bluetooth/AUX and AM/FM no CD player, they do fit. fitment on the sides for this one isnt 100% but its good enough i'll keep it over my single DIN

And yes the black Factory surround has two tabs at the bottom you have to gently dislodge, usually wiggling it for a couple of minutes gets them out

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    Ohkei Dohkei likes this.
  17. Reese Allen

Reese Allen Member

That looks great.

I got an Android double-DIN head unit on order last night, should be here tomorrow for installation this weekend. I put a similar one in my girlfriend's Impreza and we've been pretty happy with it. We turn on wifi tethering on our cell phones and the head unit gets internet access that way. Also bought a pair of those 4x6 Pyle speakers that seem popular, and a backup camera, because the two together were less than $50.