1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I guess it's my turn....

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by Wolfman, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

to scratch my head. The last couple of days, when I've started my Hijet, that little "fault" light has stayed on. After a few minutes, it does shut off. It did not do this when I initially bought the truck. I put in new plugs to help fix a rough idle problem, which did little to fix it. Any ideas? TIA.

2. abcminitrucks

abcminitrucks Member

Which light is it...the one that looks like a muffler with heat rising from it?

3. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Yes, that's the one.

4. abcminitrucks

abcminitrucks Member

I have that same problem in a Suzuki and a Daihatsu. The Suzuki would go off after a few minutes of driving. I think it has to do with the O2 sensor, but not sure. I don't worry about it since these trucks do not have to pass the state emission test anyway.

5. chadhite

chadhite Member

I have an engine manual for a Daihatsu Hijet 660 EF engine. Give me a couple of days to look through it and see it I can find a solution. Being from KY and having 700 pages to look through may take awhile.

6. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Mine shuts off after a couple of minutes as well. I'll have to pull the o2 sensor and give it a look. Since mine is used in the official taboo fashion of the board, I do want mine to be working correctly.

7. minitruck.ca

minitruck.ca Member

You should be able to get a multi fit o2 sensor. I had the same problem with a Suzuki I got one from Lordco in Canada. Maybe Napa might have one

8. Cape Ape

Cape Ape Member

quick fix

The quick fix for the o2 sensor is to just ground out the wire to the frame. Obviously it doesn't "fix" the problem, but it fixes the problem, if you know what I mean!

9. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Sounds sorta like the way my dad fixed the "check engine" light on his beat up Silverado with a piece of electrical tape! :D Presto! No more annoying CE light! :p

10. abcminitrucks

abcminitrucks Member

Hey Wolf,
    You truck does not meet EPA standards even if they O2 sensor was working properly. So why waste the money on a new sensor...just unplug the bulb, or ground the sensor like Cape suggests.

11. abcminitrucks

abcminitrucks Member

Let's think about this....if your light goes off after a few minutes, I have had several trucks that did the same thing. Looking at the indicator, it seems to be trying to tell us there is either too much heat in the exhaust, OR maybe it is telling us there is not enough heat. I know O2 sensors have to get hot before they work properly. SO maybe the light is working properly, and telling you the exhaust is not hot enough yet, and then goes off when the proper temp is reached.

12. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

I don't think it works quite like that. When I first bought the truck, the light would only stay on long enough for the standard bulb check. Last Tuesday, I noticed that it stayed on after I started the truck, but would go out the instant that I would get the engine above idle. By the time I got to the end of my street, it was staying off. Wednesday, it stayed on regardless of throttle position, and would flicker going down the road, untill it shut off completely. My issue is definitely a deteriorating one, and I want to get it addressed. Unfortunately today though, I'm working a 16 hour shift, so it'll have to wait untill at least tomorrow, before I can get to investigating it further.

While I understand that my use of the vehicle is not exactly sanctioned by the federal moffia, I'm still the type of person that likes my vehicles to work like they are supposed to. So, grounding the sensor wire isn't going to be an option. If the o2 sensor is indeed bad, it'll get replaced. I had the Ford dealer give me the same line when the check engine light came on in it. It's problem was a bad part in the EGR system. They suggested that I ignore the problem, as I do not live in an emissions control county. I fixed the problem anyway.

Any time I sit behind the wheel of any one of my vehicles, chances are extremely good, that I'll be putting at least 100 miles on it before I get back home. I need to know that the vehicle is up to the task. Part of this, is taking care of the $10 problems, before they grow into $100 or $1000 dollar ones.

13. abcminitrucks

abcminitrucks Member

OK good luck with it...let us know how it turns out.

14. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

The little light does seem to point to the O2 sensor. I pulled mine and found it to be solid black from carbon. I cleaned it up, and reinstalled it. The light is now off (for now).