1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to set Ignition Timing?

Discussion in 'Honda Acty' started by froek, Feb 20, 2012.

1. froek

froek Member

Hi guys,

Picked up a timing light - wondering where do I point this thing? The picture in the manual doesn't really tell me.. I'm having trouble locating the timing marks. I'm assuming the adjustment of timing is done the same as other cars (rotating the distrib. and checking the marks)?

I want to see if my Acty is indeed set to 4deg BTDC.

Thanks.

2. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

the timing marks for your acty should be on top of the bellhousing between the engine and transmission...

3. OldMachinist

OldMachinist Moderator Staff Member

The timing marks are like fupabox said but you have to pull a little black rubber plug out to see them.

4. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

yes..forgot to mention that..sorry

5. froek

froek Member

Thanks - it helps to see what you're doing when it's daylight out :D

I checked it out after setting my idle at 1050RPM the mark is slightly to one side of the red mark. That side being farthest away from the white mark.. So I'm guessing it's more than 4deg but not by much.. maybe 5? I can't say for sure because I don't know how big that wheel is but it's definitely more than the red mark. I'm not going to make changes to the timing because it appears to be ok. Am I wrong?

I assume farther from the white mark = more degrees of advance.

One thing I sorted out.. my idle was too high, I was sitting around 1150/1250. It seems awfully low at the new setting but it's really quiet now!

6. OldMachinist

OldMachinist Moderator Staff Member

I don't remember what vehicle you have but the idle should be as follows
    2 wheel drive manual transmission 1000 +-50 rpm
    4 wheel drive " " 1150 +-50 rpm
    Automatic transmission 950 +-50rpm with transmission in drive

7. froek

froek Member

I've got an SDX (4x4), my manual says for my MT, it should be 1000 +=50 unless it's a (UL/DL) or something, which it's not.

It still stumbles a bit - not quite sure what to do. I noticed the initial timing red mark moving around a bit at idle when I was peering into it. The idle also moved between 1050 and 1150, sometimes down to 1000 or 980.

OldMachinist - I've read your posts regarding the solenoid.. but I'm not sure what to make of it. One of the wires made the clicking sound when it disconnected/reconnected it while the key was in the on position, but the other one did not click. Are they BOTH supposed to do that?

:frustration:

8. froek

froek Member

Oh yeah, my last few fill ups I'm getting 10L/100km or 23.5mpg fuel economy.