1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How "low" is 1st gear

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Acerguy, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Hey guys. I'm just curious how necessary a Hi-low tranny would be for my application. I would not be using the truck for any "extreme" off roading as everywhere I need to go has a relatively "groomed" trail that I currently use my tractor on. My property does have some elevation change in it and I would be carrying firewood. Any comments? :confused: Oh, I'm looking at a late model (2000) Daihatsu. Thanks!

2. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Keith... I'm gonna tell you right now. Hold out for a H/L transfer case. You wont regret it. Mine stayed in low gear even on the groomed trails.

-Greg

3. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

amen to that greg..on trails i never get out of low range..just way more controllable and less clutching..generally 2nd gear low range feet off pedals and cruise away:)

4. Acerguy

Awesome guys. Thanks. As it turns out, both of the trucks that are in the running ended up having H/L. I'm excited. After three years of being a mod on the forum and sitting on the fence, I'm finally getting close to actually having a @#%& truck of my own I am going to have to change my avatar though!:D

5. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

awww no sambar for you?

6. Acerguy

You would thinks so huh? :p I've been a little embarrassed about it but the time/money/motivation didn't come to a head until recently. Don't worry, I'll do a "Introduction" thread when the time comes. :D

Yeah, I still like the Sambars but the Hijets won this round...for one thing, there are a lot more of them available.