1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hole in supercharger pipe

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by MrJPolito, May 31, 2022.

1. MrJPolito

MrJPolito Active Member

Hi, I just picked up an automatic transmission 1997 Subaru Sambar KS4 with supercharger from the port. It has a really rough idle and poor acceleration, and periodically sounded like there was a popping sound coming from the engine compartment. I have been doing basic maintenance (oil change, transmission fluid change) and noticed that the popping sound was coming from the supercharger. Upon closer inspection, there is a hole in a pipe coming off of the supercharger. The hole is between two hose clamps, like a rubber section was joining two metal pipes or something. See attached photos.

IMG_20220531_215629_749.jpg IMG_20220531_215632_567.jpg IMG_20220531_215636_158.jpg

(It's the upper right area of the engine bay; sorry about the utter filth)

Would anyone be able to take a photo of their engine in the same spot? Just wondering if this weird join is supposed to be here, and what material should be used as a replacement.

Thanks!

2. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

I used a 48mm Silicone coupler to replace those on mine. Both the in and out side of the supercharger uses the same diameter hose. The stock hose is rubber, but Silicone will last far longer. I think they were 3" long and I had to trim them to fit.

Something like these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/231105583944. (I have not bought from this seller, it was just the first link that came up on eBay)

3. MrJPolito

MrJPolito Active Member

Thanks for the reply. I ended up going to O'Reilly the next day and getting whatever hose they had on hand, which was a coolant supply line hose, and it worked fine as far as I can tell. If it melts I'll switch to silicone. Photos below.

IMG_20220602_104425_927.jpg IMG_20220602_104428_327.jpg

It was extremely easy to take off just this one pipe, most bolts accessible from the top of the engine. Coolant pipe had to be trimmed to about three inches. It's a very short span.

Truck runs fantastic now. I was maxing out at 45 mph before and now it easily gets up to 75 mph full speed.