1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hijet struts

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet References' started by fupabox, Jan 24, 2011.

1. OutdoorsNS

OutdoorsNS Member

Fupa i just ordered my struts, and do you think i could somehow find the springs your talking about.... lol help me out i was on jegs and could not find them, i have a lot of catching up to do to be on your level! link or part number please pretty pretty please!!!!

2. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

3. OutdoorsNS

OutdoorsNS Member

Ok thanks so much, do you think it would be smart to put a heavier spring on than that? or do you think 225s would be fine with the new struts? i just really really want this bottoming out to stop lol. i subscribed to you and been watching your youtubevideos!!

as long as the bottoming out is gone im not looking for any stiffer of a ride

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  4. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

with the 225-250lb spring you will end up with approx 1-1 1/4 inches of lift (or more precisely..less initial compression of the strut) some guys have used heavier if they are adding a plow..but unless you are using a plow I would say any heavier would be pretty rough riding

5. OutdoorsNS

OutdoorsNS Member

Thanks i will post once there on!

6. OutdoorsNS

OutdoorsNS Member

Got my Struts and springs in the mail a couple of days ago photo 1 (3).JPG
    They fit very well, everything went smooth and they work good, i have 92 S83P and they were a perfect match. NO MORE BOTTOMING, way smoother ride. i can still make the truck bottom out by going as fast as i can and hitting and a 6 inch deep bump, but it takes alot to bottom them out now, if i dont perposely try, it wont. I think getting 250lb springs would be a must if u have a bumper or anything added to the truck they weighs a lot. I got 225s and they are perfect, it gave my truck little over an inch of lift in the front. The mechanic part of it is very simple, im a terrible mechanic, but a really good parts replacer, and this project was very easy. i have pictures of the whole process and if anyone wants them up i will post them. the hardest thing about putting them on is compressing the spring, i didnt take any pictures of that because i did it in a very dangerous way. But you can get spring compressers and do it legitly. Each side of the truck took me probably 15- 20 mins. photo 4 (2).JPG
    THANKS TO FUPA FOR THE HELP!!

7. Smurfmobile

Smurfmobile New Member

I have an '87 Hijet Pickup 4wd that needs new struts and springs badly! Any idea if these will fit? I looked on Rockauto and their '87 parts only consist of carb kits and nothing for suspension. Does anyone know if newer struts will fit on my older '87?

Cheers!

8. antfarmer

antfarmer Member

It would be nice if we could sort out some kind of error free fact sheet about Hijet struts. I need struts and springs for my '91, but I'm running into some ambiguity that I have not been able to resolve with certainty.
    1) There has been some discussion that 2wd hijets have different struts from 4 wd hijets, but if that is true, there should be a different OEM number for each of them, and I have not seen that. Leon Barnett from the "Daihatsu Help" was not aware of that difference, if it exists.
    2) Rock Auto hijet struts have OE numbers 633118 & 633117, but they claim they are for 92 and later Hijets. When I last checked, they were about $70 each but about $80 for shipping from England.
    3) The supplier in Vancouver says the correct OEM part numbers are 48510 and 48520, that is what he puts on all the Hijets that he services. His website shows a somewhat high price for the struts, but he sells them for $79 each to people on this forum, which I think includes the shipping, so if they are correct, then this might be the most economical source.
    4) I still don't know if '48510 & 48520' and '633118 & 633117' are exactly the same thing, or if one set is for older or newer versions, or for 2wd vs 4wd, or just a different way of numbering the parts. However, if you google hijet struts, you find a bunch of Chinese websites selling the '48510 & 48520' numbered Hijet struts.
    5) my welder/mechanic that did my body lift told me to get the gas struts rather than the hydraulic struts. Other mechanics told me there are no hijet gas struts. However, the '48510 & 48520' struts for sale on the Alibaba Chinese websites list them as being gas-filled struts, whereas the US and Canadian suppliers say they sell only hydraulic struts. If you want to buy from the Chinese suppliers, the minimum order number is 100 units, so that sort of takes the fun out of that possibility. Who would possibly need 100 hijet struts these days?
    6) Strut travel is another topic that is confusing me. I've been told that the standard issue Hijet struts maybe only have travel of a couple inches. There is one shop on the forum that was selling custom made extended/long travel struts with 4.5 inches of travel, but they cost $1200 and apparently are not currently in production, since not many were ordered. If it can be verified that 2wd and 4wd hijet struts are different, it would be helpful to know if one set are longer or if the travel is different than the other.
    7) my mechanic said the 'old style' struts were hydraulic and shorter, the new style are gas filled and longer, and that I need the "new style" gas strut. Other mechanics did not agree with this assessment.
    8) ebay has KYB struts for about $225 that are of the '48510 & 48520' numbers. There are also usually complete strut assemblies for sale with the original smaller springs in place.

I've tried to digest all this and come to some conclusion, but I'm still mystified. This would be easier if I knew for sure that the '48510 & 48520' and '633118 & 633117' were just different numbering systems for exactly the same thing. But what if one set has a longer travel, or are for 4wd vs 2wd, or hydraulic vs gas filled, or old style vs new style? I also find the price variation baffling, from $70 to close to $400 for supposedly the same thing. I wonder what my chances of getting sample pair of "gas filled" hijet struts from Chengdu China for "evaluation" might be.... I'm not any less confused now than I was a few weeks ago, but I'd feel better about ordering parts if I could remove a few of the variables.

9. Noleftturn60

Noleftturn60 New Member

Great thanks