1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hijet rough idle / vibration issue

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by oldironpeddler, Aug 27, 2021.

1. oldironpeddler

oldironpeddler New Member

I am new to the mini truck/van world. I have a 1995 Daihatsu HiJet Hi Custon Van with 62KM. It has the 660cc engine with a 5 speed transmission. It runs great with no issues. After driving for a while and coming to a stop. The engine has a very noticeable vibration or shake. It vibrates for about 5 to 6 seconds then smooths out to a normal idle. It does it every time. I was not sure if it needs a tune up or if there is some other issue. I only run non-ethanol gas in it. Any help or solution would be great. I'm sure it is something simple, I just want to work as it should

2. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

The carb/emissions system may be miss set and not dropping down to idle quickly enough. Don’t remember what you do to adjust it. I think there is a screw above the idle screw which controls it.

3. Roadster

Roadster Active Member

What engine do you have? Is it the carbureted (EF-NS) or the EF-ES (fuel injected)? If it is the EF-NS, you might pull the plugs and see the colour to get an idea if the mixture is OK. New ones are cheap and readily available (I've had good luck with NGK BKR6E-11 gapped at .034"). Replacing the rotor, cap and spark plug wires and plugs will go a long way to reliability, especially as it gets colder and wetter... Also, check the air filter and fuel filter, as they can cause the engine to marginally run on two cylinders in certain conditions as you are describing. As Jigs says, carb settings can get misadjusted causing issues, so best to pick off the "low-hanging fruit" first?