1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Highway intended gearing huh?

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by jtpc, Apr 1, 2009.

1. jtpc

jtpc Member

Hey guys,

I've read several posts on here about how these trucks are not really meant for highway use and should be more in the city.
    This seems to make sense seeing the speedometer ratings, however I find it interesting that my Hijet doesn't need to shift from 4th gear into 5th till I hit 100kmh.
    So it kinda makes it seem that 100kmh+ was intended for this little truck as far as how they geared it.
    If only I could ask the guys who engineer the Hijet in japan.

~Josh

2. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

i promise you it will rev out really well, as someone who has driven the crap out of mine all over hell and gone... but... they are intended (and restricted by law) to 85KPH... while these will rev out and cruise at 75+ mph the fuel economy sucks at such speeds. if you maintain the japanese recommended speed you get much better fuel economy.

3. jtpc

jtpc Member

Wow, I didn't know they were restricted in japan to 85kph. That isn't too fast, huh?
    If that were the case here I would only be able to drive it on back roads and in the city.

4. larryn2o

larryn2o Member

on Top Gear they stated that the K cars were limited to 83 MPH. With out an overdrive and on stock tires mine would hit redline at about 85 KPM. with a overdrive and 185/80r13 tires it works out to about 140 KPM.

i've since put 185/60r13 on the back and run 55 to 65 MPH (4500 to 5200 RPM). it still has 175/50r13 on front since thats all that fit.

5. gumballf355

gumballf355 Member

I've gone flat out at around 60mph for 20 minutes... but I rarely drive that far and almost never go on the highway with my hijet. Not quite sure what rpm it's at when it's topped out.

6. larryn2o

larryn2o Member

i saw one graph that listed red line at 5,800 RPM.

7. monkiesinc

monkiesinc New Member

i've got a 1990 atrai van with the ef-xs engine and a tach that says i red line at 7000rpm

8. monkiesinc

monkiesinc New Member

she'll do 110km/h, but she doesn't like it that much.