1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hesitation revelation

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by spaner, Oct 25, 2011.

1. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

I'd like to share a little revelation that I've had recently.

It's a long time in coming, but I've "always" had a slight hesitation with the truck's acceleration from the stopped/idle position. Like getting the "jump" at a light. I started to notice this even more after trying to set up a snorkle, and tuning the supercharger. I've talk with a few members about this on various threads here, relating to the snorkle, and acceleation in general.
    Do a SeaFoam treatment, lean it up a bit, disconnect the acc injector, etc.

You just want to smash the petal to the floor, and have the truck GO, not hesitate, or complely "flood-out". Go...like your F150...or what ever...
    Even with the supercharger system in place (on my truck), if I mash the petal, it will flood-out, then the charger kicks in and makes it worse. Once you're moving, say first to second gear...it's fine...mash away; everything seems to be tuned properlly. Lots of pickup, no problem, but from a stopped/idle position...HESITATION.

So, part of this revelation, came from a completly unrelated topic, in this forum, where by, the user was having an electronic diagnostic problem, and his symptoms were not characteristic of the probable cause/solution. Then, two days later, he posts, "wait a minute, now that you mention it, it was doing that last week"........cuz we forget...

Yesterday I was out in the Badlands, tearing it up, and ripped the supercharger belt off(tag-alters engine fire). Had to run NA, and the idle hesitation was BAD. Trying to think of why, everthing is tuned BETTER than when I first got the truck, but...when I first got the truck...it didn't do this.....DING......DING...That's why at the top I said "I've "always" had a slight hesitation"...Not "always".

What does every new owner do to their truck first when it comes out of Japan...TURN DOWN THE IDLE...thread after thread after thread, of guys asking HOW? can I get this thing down to the magic 950RPM, "the screws aren't touching anything, and the throttle cable is off, and it's still at 1200!"
    Yet every truck off the boat is set to idle at 2TRPM, think maybe they know something?

So, I take the seat off, dial up the idle to 2TRPM, cuz I remember it, cuz it was so hi...no more hesitation. Took me 30 seconds to fix it.

Long winded, but if I just told you to turn up your idle, you'd say "no, I like it to idle low". Night and day differance.

But, I like to have my cake and eat it too. After I got home, what I did was set the idle back to 950, and turn up the acc-idle-up actuator to 2TRPM. That's the one with the two vac lines connected to it.

Parked---Lights off---950
    Driving---Lights on--2000

Immediate testing differance.:pop:

I have never, ever, seen this kind of differance in hesitation related to the idle setting on any other engine.

2. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

im sure you already know this but im gonna say it anyways you the man here is some popcorn for ya :pop::pop: im goin to try that today and se if it helps mine to although u have a super charger and i still do not but hey might not hurt to try anyways thanks spaner

3. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

I've always kept my idle a hair over 1000..your right ..boggy on take off at 900-950...I turn it down for the emissions idle test (timing bumped back for emmision test as well) then back up till the next test..My Miata is also much more responsive with a higher base idle and bumped timing....bumping the timing while keeping the base idle speed is counterproductive and will cause the bogging on initial acceleration..if you bump the stock timing you can't keep the idle the same as stock

4. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Yup, I agree. Just started to adjust the carb after the rebuild. It's much better, and I've set the Idle-acc to 1500 now, down from 2000. Also, from another older post fupa, I've gone up on the choke to 2500...Like you mentioned.

2000 was just slightly too low, 3000 is far too high. The truck likes 2500..
    Choke warm-up...2500
    Base Idle...950
    acc(lights-on-drive)..1500, no rebuild, I'd use 2000...

Much, much better, it was good before, but I'm talkin like a fine wine...better..

The timing I always fine tune last. I just keep bumping it until I get some pinging, (I'm talking about when driving around) then tap it back slightly. I usually do this for about a week before I lock it down...tap it up, tap it down...bracket it right to the max.

Keep in mind that I'm running 91 with 7psi...

Ho, yea, emmision test, 8hr north of you...no such thing...

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  5. 660LVPE

660LVPE New Member

Spaner, could you tell me where are the screws to adjust it? I have the exact same problem..

Thank you.