1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help reading Japanese

Discussion in 'Mini Lounge' started by Stan, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Stan

Stan New Member

I found some things while I was cleaning out my car and they are in Japanese and I'm not sure what they say I think it is a blessing but I'm not sure. Any help would be appreciated
    Stan IMG_1234.JPG IMG_1233.JPG

2. Stan

Stan New Member

That should say truck

3. Stan

Stan New Member

Also found this today, while snooping around. IMG_1239.JPG

4. Jdmonealp

Jdmonealp Member

The first pic and maybe the second, they look like good luck charms. aka "talisman". Think lucky rabbits foot, but more specific. Rabbits foot is general luck, where as these charms are for certain things. Like long life or happiness or good health. I got a little one with my last Suzuki I bought and I now have it in my tow vehicle. Mine is for "health and long life" 2 things my 420,000 mile diesel excursion needs. Lol.

5. Stan

Stan New Member

I kind of figured it was some kind of lucky charm. Thank you for the information

6. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

When my wife and I lived in Japan some 30+ years ago, we lived over the hill from a temple that had "car blessing days". We would ride by on our bikes and there would be a long line of generally new cars getting blessed (or so we were told). We had one of those charms in our car too. I think we still have it somewhere.

7. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

Still do that sort of thing here in the Philippines. Anything people can get to the ceremony will get 'blessed'.

Fred

8. Ronin

Ronin Active Member Supporting Member

Yep good luck for the road charm... fwiw you're supposed to toss it into the 'san-kuro' fire (spring cleansing fire) every spring and get a new one.

The label says 'long life coolant' and says it was changed 9/2014, next due 9/2016. 'PitWork' is a car shop chain.

Acerguy likes this.
  9. DSlag

DSlag Member

Do you still want these translated??? I might be able to help.

10. ShaneEM

ShaneEM New Member

Not sure if you figured this out yet but with google translate app for android you can import or take pictures and it will read them. I was lucky to fund my timing belt replacement done 15k ago with the app!

11. Ohkei Dohkei

Ohkei Dohkei Active Member

I have tried google translate but it hasn't been much help using the camera. Just a few numbers and such.

12. ShaneEM

ShaneEM New Member

My google translate says its Chinese.

One on the left says, "Table number to Quan Mishou Takaoyama"

Cant read left one.

13. shogun

shogun Active Member

google translate found the chinese characters Kanji, but the only correct translation it did is the name of the mountain Takao, Takao is the name of the mountain, Yama = mountain. Copied from the net:
    Japanese consists of two scripts (referred to as kana) called Hiragana and Katakana, which are two versions of the same set of sounds in the language. Hiragana and Katakana consist of a little less than 50 “letters”, which are actually simplified Chinese characters adopted to form a phonetic script.
    Chinese characters, called Kanji in Japanese, are also heavily used in the Japanese writing. Most of the words in the Japanese written language are written in Kanji (nouns, verbs, adjectives). There exists over 40,000 Kanji where about 2,000 represent over 95% of characters actually used in written text

Here the correct translation by my Japanese wife:

Pics 1 and 2 = a lucky charm for safe driving from the shrine at Mount Takao = Takao Yama. The Buddhist temple on Mount Takao is formally known as Takao-san Yakuo-in Yuki-ji, and most commonly as Yakuo-in. It was established in 744 on the orders of Emperor Shomu as a base for Buddhism in eastern Japan and its founder was Gyoki, a charismatic priest closely associated with the erection of the Great Buddha at Todai-ji Temple in Nara.
    https://www.nippon.com/en/views/b06...treasure-nestled-in-western-tokyo.html?pnum=1

We just got new lucky charms for our cars for this new year from the nearby temple when we visited there new year for ringing the giant bell for good luck and had some nice white sake drink

Pic 3 from pit work (that is a car service chain): long life warranty from Japanese calendar Hesei 26 September = 5 years ago, next change 09/28 = 2 years later.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020